Prev: RE: Phalon ships = Giant penises! Next: Re: Phalon ships = Giant penises!

Re: (No Subject)

From: Roger Books <books@m...>
Date: Thu, 4 May 2000 09:30:21 -0400 (EDT)
Subject: Re: (No Subject)

On  4-May-00 at 03:12, Mikko Kurki-Suonio (maxxon@swob.dna.fi) wrote:

> OTOH, if one wants to retain the suspension of disbelief, one must set
> the limits. And those limits, being "laws of nature", affect
*everything*,
> including civilian traffic and trade, which in turn affects the
reasons
> why anyone would want to fight over West Bumfuck and with how much
> resources. It's a vicious circle...

Let me make my point a bit clearer.

You can either have space colonies with intersteller trade and a profit
being made, in which case you need to have an intersteller military,
or you can have shipping costs be unsupportable, in which case you
will have no intersteller military.

So what I am really saying is your transport costs cannot be so
extravagent that only an ultra-high tech force can be fielded.

It looks to me like you need a better reason for the NAC to take
that max-tech force out to planet Y to put down the rebellion than
"Travel is expensive".	I personally would think it would be a
political thing, "Losing people is expensive politicly".

Roger

Prev: RE: Phalon ships = Giant penises! Next: Re: Phalon ships = Giant penises!