Prev: Re: Centimeters Next: Re: Centimeters

Re: [DS2] Points - crew cost

From: Roger Books <books@m...>
Date: Wed, 3 May 2000 08:53:39 -0400 (EDT)
Subject: Re: [DS2] Points - crew cost

On  3-May-00 at 03:54, Mikko Kurki-Suonio (maxxon@swob.dna.fi) wrote:

> Logistics is another mind-boggler, espcially in interstellar cultures.
The
> cost of transporting 50 tons of crap is pretty much the same as the
cost
> of transporting 50 tons of ultra-advanced combat gear. The cost of
> transportation can be *the* deciding factor -- you only got so much
cargo
> space, and just flying out there costs many times more than anything
you
> could reasonably fit in the hold.

I think I may have to argue this one.  If you can't put stuff in the
hold
worth many times the cost of the shipping interstellar commerce won't
occur.	Without interstellar commerce there is no real reason to be
"out there".  Why go force a rebel colony back in the fold when you
are never going to turn a profit off of it anyway?  Let your
enemies^H^H^H^H
competitors drain themselves shipping things through space.

To rephrase, if I can make money shipping food with a bulk hauler I
can use that same bulk hauler to move medium or low tech tanks
reasonably.  Even a "Low" tech tank is not a cheap piece of
machinery.

Roger

Prev: Re: Centimeters Next: Re: Centimeters