Prev: Re: [DS2] Points - crew cost Next: Phalon ships = Giant penises!

Centimeters

From: Mikko Kurki-Suonio <maxxon@s...>
Date: Wed, 3 May 2000 11:18:58 +0300 (EEST)
Subject: Centimeters

Ok, I know Örjan disagrees, but here's my take.

CM-scale SUCKS!

Check out
http://www.swob.dna.fi/mini/photo/ft-cm-2.jpg

Note that some of the miniatures are placed on top of each other...
and the rest of the table is empty.

Ok, it can work, but IMHO the deciding factor is base size. Yeah, FT
doesn't really use base size, but in practice the standard flying stand
is
about an inch across -- and some varieties are even larger (the Geo-Hex
one included? I only have one of those...) OTOH the smallest short range
is 6 MU. Some things MUST come within this distance and a lot of things
WANT TO.

1" out of 6" is not too much, but 1" out of 6cm is.

If you use cm-scale, avoid miniatures that don't fit on the base *at*
*all* *costs*, and never use larger than standard bases. Better yet,
make
smaller bases and only use the very smallest of miniatures (fighters,
scouts etc.)

Cm-scale also increases the "fiddlyness" of the game -- a small knock on
the mini or slight measuring error can be more easily significant.

OTOH, it does give you more space for those high speed flybys...

--
maxxon@swob.dna.fi (Mikko Kurki-Suonio) 	  | A pig who doesn't
fly

Prev: Re: [DS2] Points - crew cost Next: Phalon ships = Giant penises!