Prev: Re: [DS2] Points Next: Re: Starfire campaign

Re: Gauss weapons

From: "Alex Kettle" <squawk@c...>
Date: Tue, 2 May 2000 11:51:51 -0400
Subject: Re: Gauss weapons

Hello all, I've been lurking here for a while, thought I'd jump in.
First
off, my group plays SG, looking at DS (few run throughs) and are trying
get FT from our store- as something different since B5 Wars is our main
game- I already have a small fleet of Sa'vas'ku (sp?) turned into Shadow
ships. Maybe the actual shadow cruiser minis (which are really nice BTW)
would make good Sa'vas'ku? :-)

Anyway,

Thomas Barclay wrote:
>Oerjan suggests a ceramic coating for a gauss flechette. Seems like a
wise
>idea - easier penetration through the atmosphere I'd imagine.
>
>How about some sort of "molecularly aligned" metal or something like
>synthetic diamond (maybe a diamond tip)? I dunno, just crazy talk.

We can put diamond films on objects now, it's a fairly simple process
that
was developed by one of my professors at York University in Toronto (a
few
years ago before I graduated). It involves a carbon coating, using high
pressures and a laser. The exact process of course I don't know, but I
do
know that he apparently sold it to NASA. The plan I believe was to
develop
the process further to create diamond films on satellites and other
space
objects- the ultra hard coating to help protect from space dust etc. So
perhaps the flechette could be coated in a diamond film to help increase
strength and penetration?
Just a thought,

Later,
Alexander Kettle,
Upper Canada Battle Group

Prev: Re: [DS2] Points Next: Re: Starfire campaign