Prev: [DS2] Points Next: Re: Indonesian Commonwealth[Long-ish]

RE: [SG2][DS2] Gauss Weapons vs. CPR

From: "Bell, Brian K" <Brian_Bell@d...>
Date: Mon, 1 May 2000 10:35:45 -0400
Subject: RE: [SG2][DS2] Gauss Weapons vs. CPR

A highly subjective question:
What would be the materials used for a gauss flechette?

My assumption would be a high regidity, high temperature resistant metal
(steel, titanium, iridium) or highly magneticly sensitive (as opposed to
magnetic itself), advanced ceramic.

Softer metals such as lead,  would probably not stand upto the flight
stress
or impact stresses involved. (Yes, I know that the whole flechette would
be
pulled by the magnetic field until it leaves the barrel, but at the end
of
the barrel or gauss field, the rear of the flechette would still be
pulled/pushed while the front of the flechette would be pushed by the
air in
front of the projectile (acutally the flechette would be doing the
pushing,
but you get the idea)).

Also, for the flechette to have any accuracy over distance, it would
need to
be stabilized. The force on the nose of the flechette would be greater
than
that on the other parts of the flechette. Any variance in angle, would
cause
the flechette to start to tumble. Tumbling would decrease both
penetration
and accuracy. I see two ways to provide stabilization.

1. The flechette has fins or is a flattned wedge shape (that would act
as
fins). Both of these have the disadvantage of an odd fit when in the
barrel.
A uniform shape would be much easier to force to the center of a barrel
for
firing. Also, if using fins, it would require a much higher tech base to
manufacture these. And it would make the ammo itself more easily damaged
while loading.
2. The flechette is spin stablized. I see three ways to do this also.
 a. Rifled flechette. The flechette, itslef, has rifling on it. As it
passes
through the air the air is channeld through the rifiling channels and
imparts spin.
 b. Rifle the barrel. This has the disadvanatge of generating lots of
heat
(from friction) as the flechette leaves the barrel at hypersonic
velosity.
 c. Spin the flechette by magnetic force. The flechette would need to be
comprised of two materials. One that is magntically sensitive, and one
that
is not. The magnetic and nonmagnetic parts would be arranged in a
symetric
pattern along the long axis of the projectile. The barrel of the gun
would
use either alternating magnetic fields to impart spin, or the magnets
would
be arranged in a spiral pattern in the gun (pulling the magnetic parts
of
the flechette in a rifled path).

-----
Brian Bell