Prev: Re: GenCon and JMS (kinda OT for some of you ;-) Next: Re: [FB1]Alternate stuff

Re: DS2 Balance and stuff.

From: Tom Anderson <thomas.anderson@u...>
Date: Mon, 1 May 2000 04:11:21 +0100 (BST)
Subject: Re: DS2 Balance and stuff.

On Sun, 30 Apr 2000, Oerjan Ohlson wrote:

> Brian Bilderback wrote:
>
> >Not to mention the conundrum of: Do you calculate the rest of the
> >vehicle cost, then base FireCon on THAT number, then base Stealth on
> >the NEW number, or vice versa?
>
> If they're multiplicative it doesn't matter which order. A*B*C =
> A*C*B, as long as you're not talking matrix algebra

or multiplication in any non-Abelian group, for that matter, although
then
you might not want to call it multiplication.

> (and IMO any points system, however accurate, which requires working
> knowledge of matrix algebra is *way* to complicated!).

same goes for other non-Abelian groups. you have been warned - don't try
no funny stuff!

anyway, i guess my points system based on symmetry operations isn't
going
to see the light of day any time soon.

slightly more seriously, how about a vector points system? each vehicle
gets a rating of the form (a,b), and you have to design a force with
either not more than certain totals of a and b, or a + b, or ka + b
where
k is a constant, etc. this might resolve tensions between play-balance
and
realism based systems, or might solve the problem of finding a single
points cost which works in all environments (infantry, armour or
artillery
dominated battles, for instance). alternatively, it could be 4 o'clock
in
the morning, in which case my brain is falling out of my left nostril.
just let me check ... oh. oops.

tom a

ps Abelian = commutative operator, right? if not, i now look like a
fool.

pps again.

Prev: Re: GenCon and JMS (kinda OT for some of you ;-) Next: Re: [FB1]Alternate stuff