Prev: Re: [SG2][DS2] Gauss Weapons vs. CPR Next: Re: [SG2][DS2] Gauss Weapons vs. CPR

Re: DS2 Balance and stuff.

From: wargamergmw@j...
Date: Sat, 29 Apr 2000 11:20:30 EDT
Subject: Re: DS2 Balance and stuff.

On Fri, 28 Apr 2000 23:08:48 -0400 "Laserlight" <laserlight@quixnet.net>
writes:
>>>From: "Laserlight" <laserlight@quixnet.net>
<snip good point to point stuff>
>>Did I point out that this is about a game?
>

>I missed that, I thought _this_ was reality...Certainly some
>people on this list have been getting stressed enough lately...

You mean this ISN'T more real then what passes for reality here on
earth?

>   Actually, not only it is just a game, it's a game I've only
>played once, so I have no feel whatsoever for the balance.   My
>personal preference is for a mix of  anti-grav tanks armed with
>DFFG, backed up by power armor and combat walkers--but just
>because it makes sense for for what we laughingly refer to as
>our environment (vacuum, low grav, lots of radiation).  Oh--and
>because I like the idea of grav panzers and fusion guns, and
>have ever since I first ran in a Traveler campaign, nearly 20
>years ago.

While I don't yet have any of these rules (saving shekels...) I admit to
a bias also.  Starguard (30+ years old rules), Ratner's Space Marines
(Way older then current space marine phenomena) rules, The Forever War,
EARLY Andre Norton books, Starship Trooper, et. al.,  has me oriented
towards body armor jump jet troops, Power Armor support elements,
lasers/blasters, subsonic sniper guns, and ultimately finding rules to
span fleet actions, flotilla battles, space to land assaults, large
units
(at least battalion per side), and skirmish for SF (Science Fiction.)

>  It seems to me that	the advantage of a higher grade FC ought
>to be susceptible to numerical analysis.  No, I'm not
>volunteering, but you have a limited number of combinations of
>weapons, armor, ranges, and FC's, so you should be able to plug
>in a spreadsheet and see what difference does it really make..

Uh, I'm still working on getting all the weapons in Starguard put in
Excel but this might be done soon as I get enough money for DS (my #2
priority currently.)  This might be weeks or months, anybody else want
do it sooner?  This would be a great idea for discussion.

Gracias.
Glenn Wilson, Triple Threat Wargamer - (loses equally well in
SF/Fantasy/Historical Games.)  Prefers Fantasy Dwarves, Starguard
Science
Fiction, 1500-1700 North America Skirmishes, the First Crusade.

Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.

Prev: Re: [SG2][DS2] Gauss Weapons vs. CPR Next: Re: [SG2][DS2] Gauss Weapons vs. CPR