Prev: Re: GMS/P vs. IAVR Next: Re: DS2 Balance and stuff.

Re: Simple Sensors II

From: Sean Bayan Schoonmaker <schoon@a...>
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2000 18:55:28 -0700
Subject: Re: Simple Sensors II

>Make it a Class 1 with the hull for 0 cost and for free, all merchant
>ships get class 0, this lets you give merchants inferior sensors.

I would rather degrade the basic Class 0 system for merchants.

Why? Because that way, if you want to ignore sensors completely, you
can.
If every ship has a free Class 1, somebody is going to demand his die
roll
every turn. I intentionally made it so you'd HAVE to design special
ships
if you wanted to make use of the die rolling bit. This keeps the rolling
a bare minimum.

>The mechanic listed is pretty good, with a few things needing
>clarification.  First, we no longer have size classes.   I would
>prefer to do this as an absolute mass or maybe a % of mass.  The
>second thing is does this need to be rerolled every turn?  One of
>the problems with rolling in a tabletop game is your opponent gets
>to see your dice and, especially with size mods, knows what you are
>doing.  It would work great as an option for a PBeM game though.

I'd have to agree with you on this one. I was sort of hoping some sort
of
"Official" size classes would emerge, but I don't think it's in the
cards
(and at this point would rather they didn't).

I'll change it to a MASS related effect.

As for the rerolls every turn, see my comments above. Hopefully you'd
only
have one or two EW ships per fleet max.

Schoon

Prev: Re: GMS/P vs. IAVR Next: Re: DS2 Balance and stuff.