Prev: Re: [DS2] Thoughts on tactics and design. Next: Re: DS2 Balance and stuff.

Re: DS2 Balance and stuff.(long and boring)

From: "Brian Bilderback" <bbilderback@h...>
Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2000 16:56:49 PDT
Subject: Re: DS2 Balance and stuff.(long and boring)

>From: Graeme Bradbury <graeme.bradbury@btinternet.com>
>To: "'gzg-l'" <gzg-l@CSUA.Berkeley.EDU>
>Subject: Re: DS2 Balance and stuff.(long and boring)
>Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2000 18:11:52 +0100
>
>Command Unit
>MRT IV/C(ommand)
>Size 3, Basic Sig d8, Stealth 2, Eff Target Die d12, Mobility Grav(FGP)
>ECM superior, Armour 2, C3 Centre, LAD, APSW(free) 4 capacity free
>395 points
>MRT IV/C
>As above but without the C3 centre and 12 free capacity    295 points
>Infantry(line) 2 rifle, 1 APSW, 1 GMS/L(enhanced) 120 points
>TOTAL 810 points
>-------------------------
>Drop the LAD it is most definately not worth 25pts never mind the 75
you
>have to pay.
>that way you can pay the measely 10 points to up the GMSL to Superior.
>-------------------------

For the IFV I agree, but not for the C3 unit.  It's job is not to kill,
it's
job is to avoid being killed.  As much as you like GMS', you should see
that
the need to use at least ONE type of defense against them is crucial.

>Mechanised Platoon
>4 MRT IV (APC)
>Size 3, Basic Sig d8, Stealth 2, Eff Target Die d12, Mobility Grav(FGP)
>FC(enh), ECM(sup), Armour 2, HEL/1, GMS/L(enh), LAD, APSW(free),
>8 free capacity   @ 331 points, 1324 points
>Infantry(line) 4 assualt, 2 GMS/L(enh), 2 APSW 240 points
>TOTAL 1564 points
>---------------------------
>This is a mechanised infantry platoon. Drop the stealth to 1 point.
Lose
>the HEL
>and up the GMSL to GMSH/Superior and add an APSW. (ALso lose the LAD)
>That way you just evade up to the spot you want the GROPOS to assault.
>(d10+d8 defence is solid). Also up the armour it is very cheap and
helps
>against
>the low number of chits opposing infantry(main enemy) weapons have
against
>you.
>----------------------------

Yup, except I'd mix 1/2 and 1/2 GMS carrying and DFFG carrying IFV's.
Gives
you a good short/long combo punch vs. armor, and the DFFG's are nasty
vs.
Infantry.

>Recce Platoon
>4 MRT IV/R(econnaissance)
>as above but replaced FC with superior, HEL with DFFG/2 and GMS/L(enh)
with
>superior, 4 free capacity    @377 points, 1508 points
>Infantry(line) 4 rifle     80 points
>TOTAL 1588 points
>---------------------------
>As a recce platoon, drop the dffg totally and upgrade to GMSH/Superior.
>Possibly also add another APSW. Also up the armour

Agreed. Recce should try to keep the enemy at bay, not close with them.

>---------------------------
4 MRT IV/M(issile)
>as above no FC, 3 x GMS/H(sup)    @390 points
>TOTAL 1560 points
>----------------------------
>Let me get this right THREE missles each, cool! But 2 just as good.
Also up
>the armour.
>----------------------------

It seems so simple - armor is cheap.  If it's all you rely on, you're
dead,
but skimping on it is equally unwise.

>Tank Platoon
>4 MBT
>size 3,  Armour 3 ,basic sig d8, stealth 2, target die d12, grav
>mobility(FGP), FC(sup), ECM(sup), MDC/3, GMS/H(sup), APSW(free) APFC @
350
>points
>TOTAL 1400 points
>----------------------------
>Up the main gun to a MDC/4 and drop the GMSH, since every weapon of a
>different
>type to your main gun is another weapon that is NOT killing your foe.
>----------------------------

Again, I'm finally finding points where we agree. Heavy MDC's should put
the
fear of their chosen deity in anyone you face.

>Area Defence Unit
>size 3, armour 3, basic sig d8/d6, stealth 2, target die d12/d6, grav
>mobility(FGP), FC(sup), ECM(sup), ADS (enh)	@ 535 points
>TOTAL 1070 points
>---------------------------
>Drop the stealth, it's not doing anything for you. Think about upping
the
>size to size 4
>that way you can add a superior PDS, to stop those weasel planes.
>---------------------------

So right you are.

>Aerospace
>2 flights of 2 Ground Attack Aerospace
>Size 3, Armour 2, basic sig d8, FC(sup), ECM (sup), MDC/3, 2 DFO pods
>@ 397 points
>TOTAL 1588 points
>---------------------------
>Your average hot from a basic ZAD or a LAD is 3 damage. Lose the
armour,
>and train
>a better pilot! Think of using a weasel plane ie. 3x GMSH superior to
clear
>the way for
>your DFO's also try loading mines in the DFO's. Since an opponent wil
often
>not use
>the unit sitting on the mines in case he loses them all.
>--------------------------

Again, armor is cheap.	Keep it high, but still send that pilot back to
Top
Gun. Otherwise, sound advice.

>Low Tech Force
>It's hard to remember the exact composition. The MBTs I think were size
4,
>armour 4, fast track(CFE) HVC/5 FC(basic)or (enh) PDS(basic) no ECM
>no stealth. They were in units of 5 or 6. He was using a mix of Abrams
and
>T72/80. There was also some 'Shilkas' as one flight of aerospace
aborted an
>attack run. He had no infantry or artillery.
>
>-----------------------
>If your opponent regularly uses no infantry, try this combo.
>Air-drop 4 stands power infantry, 1 with a GMSL and one with an
engineer
>package. Drop it a little into is line of advance and watch him try dig

>powered
>infantry out of holes in the ground without some infantry to assault
it.

Oh, you're just evil.  This I really really like, and have to admit
never
thought of.  I'll have to try that.  (Note to self: Add engineering unit
PA platoons.)

Brian Bilderback

Prev: Re: [DS2] Thoughts on tactics and design. Next: Re: DS2 Balance and stuff.