Prev: RE: Sensor Drones (was: Lasers can't be defended against?) Next: Re: Gauss Weapons

Re: DS2 Balance and stuff.(long and boring)

From: "Anthony Leibrick" <a.leibrick@v...>
Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2000 15:13:09 +0100
Subject: Re: DS2 Balance and stuff.(long and boring)

----- Original Message -----
From: Brian Bilderback <bbilderback@hotmail.com>
To: <gzg-l@CSUA.Berkeley.EDU>
Sent: Thursday, April 27, 2000 1:04 AM

> >From: "Anthony Leibrick" <a.leibrick@virgin.net>
> >To: <gzg-l@CSUA.Berkeley.EDU>
> >Subject: Re: DS2 Balance and stuff.(long and boring)
> >Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2000 00:05:06 +0100
> >
> Just My $.02:
>

> >Well seeing I've had 2 requests, I'll try to oblige. Though I can
only
give
> >a detailed break down of the Hi-tech force.
> >
> >Command Unit
> >MRT IV/C(ommand)
> >Size 3, Basic Sig d8, Stealth 2, Eff Target Die d12, Mobility
Grav(FGP)
> >ECM superior, Armour 2, C3 Centre, LAD, APSW(free) 4 capacity free
> >395 points
> >MRT IV/C
> >As above but without the C3 centre and 12 free capacity    295 points
> >Infantry(line) 2 rifle, 1 APSW, 1 GMS/L(enhanced) 120 points
> >TOTAL 810 points
>
> Why Grav for a Command vehicle?  In a campaign setting I can see it's
use
as
> part of a rapid reaction force, but in one battle like this, it's job
is
> stay out of the way.	If it needs grav superiority to avoid being
hunted
> down, you're in trouble.  You could have gone with Fast tracked, and
then,
> given the weaponry, stuck with CFE.  You'd have shaved a lot of
points,
> probably enough for an extra vehicle or some improvements to your
others.

The MRT IV/C/R/M were all based on the same chassis/model, with
different
weapon fits. I had already decided that they were going to be grav
mobility
as that is what they looked like though they could have been GEV. The C
variation had a radome/comm on top

> >Mechanised Platoon
> >4 MRT IV (APC)
> >Size 3, Basic Sig d8, Stealth 2, Eff Target Die d12, Mobility
Grav(FGP)
> >FC(enh), ECM(sup), Armour 2, HEL/1, GMS/L(enh), LAD, APSW(free),
> >8 free capacity   @ 331 points, 1324 points
> >Infantry(line) 4 assualt, 2 GMS/L(enh), 2 APSW 240 points
> >TOTAL 1564 points
>

> If you're going to spend points for a high-tech weapon for an IFV, go
with
> DFFG - you lose range, but their main job is NOT going toe-to-toe with
> tanks, and the DFFG gives you devastating anti-infantry capabilities
as
well
> as a real significant punch up close. I'd have gone with a class 2 and
> dropped the GMS/L.  and I'd have used rifle elements instead of
assault.
[TL]
This variation had a remote turret on top that looked like a small
missile
launcher with some sort of sensor on the opposite side that became the
lens
for a small laser. In the R version the lens became a short tube that
became
the barrel of a DFFG

> >Recce Platoon
> >4 MRT IV/R(econnaissance)
> >as above but replaced FC with superior, HEL with DFFG/2 and
GMS/L(enh)
with
> >superior, 4 free capacity	@377 points, 1508 points
> >Infantry(line) 4 rifle     80 points
> >TOTAL 1588 points
>
> No criticism at this point.
>
> >Anti-tank Platoon
> >4 MRT IV/M(issile)
> >as above no FC, 3 x GMS/H(sup)    @390 points
> >TOTAL 1560 points
>
> Or here.
>
> >Tank Platoon
> >4 MBT
> >size 3,  Armour 3 ,basic sig d8, stealth 2, target die d12, grav
> >mobility(FGP), FC(sup), ECM(sup), MDC/3, GMS/H(sup), APSW(free) APFC
@
350
> >points
> >TOTAL 1400 points
>

> With all those fast IFV's, recce, and anti-tank units, I'd have gone
with
> Fast tracked MBT, and either gone with a cheaper engine type or up
gunned
> it, say to an MDC 4. Then replace the GMS/H with a basic PDS.
[TL]
As part of a unified force the MBTs had to be grav as the IFVs were but
I do
agree about dropping the GMS and upgunning the MDC

> >Area Defence Unit
> >size 3, armour 3, basic sig d8/d6, stealth 2, target die d12/d6, grav
> >mobility(FGP), FC(sup), ECM(sup), ADS (enh)	  @ 535 points
> >TOTAL 1070 points
>

> Again, your air defense unit should be well-protected and not have to
do
> much in the way of outmanouvering enemy units, so fast tracked
mobility
> should have sufficed, freeing you to use a cheaper CFE power source.
Also,
> when the balloon goes up, it's ADS should be on, rendering your
superior
ECM
> and high stealth levels a waste of points.
[TL]
The ADS were on the same chassis as the MBT's and so were the MBT's hull
and
equipment with a multi-barrel ADS turret
> >Aerospace
> >2 flights of 2 Ground Attack Aerospace
> >Size 3, Armour 2, basic sig d8, FC(sup), ECM (sup), MDC/3, 2 DFO pods
> >@ 397 points
> >TOTAL 1588 points
>
> nice, a pseudo-A-10. no complaints here.
[TL]
It was a model of a Harrier
> >Casevac
> >4 VTOLs @ 100 points
> >TOTAL 400 points
> >
> >FORCE TOTAL 9980 points (I had originally said 8000 but had forgotten
about
> >the casevac and aerospace
>

> Still, you definitely could shave some points here and there. I love
playing
> hi-tech, but not merely for the sake of BEING hi-tech.  Each
advancement,
> each gadget, has it's strengths, to which you should play, and it's
> weaknesses, which you should cover or avoid. A place for everything
and
> everything in it's place.
>
> Brian Bilderback

[TL]
The force was based on the 'look' of the models. The APCs looked grav so
the
MBTs had to be also and if the were grav they should have state of the
art
equipment. Although I would probably do them different a 2nd time.

Tony L

"At the age of four with paper hats
and wooden swords we're all Generals.
Only some of us never grow out of it".
 - Peter Ustinov

It's Time to Take Advantage of the Internet.
Join AllAdvantage.com at
http://alladvantage.com/go.asp?refid=LBY-249

Prev: RE: Sensor Drones (was: Lasers can't be defended against?) Next: Re: Gauss Weapons