Prev: Re: Gauss Weapons Next: Re: Gauss Weapons

Re: DS2 Balance and stuff.(long and boring)

From: "Brian Bilderback" <bbilderback@h...>
Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2000 17:04:07 PDT
Subject: Re: DS2 Balance and stuff.(long and boring)

>From: "Anthony Leibrick" <a.leibrick@virgin.net>
>To: <gzg-l@CSUA.Berkeley.EDU>
>Subject: Re: DS2 Balance and stuff.(long and boring)
>Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2000 00:05:06 +0100

Just My $.02:

>Well seeing I've had 2 requests, I'll try to oblige. Though I can only
give
>a detailed break down of the Hi-tech force.
>
>Command Unit
>MRT IV/C(ommand)
>Size 3, Basic Sig d8, Stealth 2, Eff Target Die d12, Mobility Grav(FGP)
>ECM superior, Armour 2, C3 Centre, LAD, APSW(free) 4 capacity free
>395 points
>MRT IV/C
>As above but without the C3 centre and 12 free capacity    295 points
>Infantry(line) 2 rifle, 1 APSW, 1 GMS/L(enhanced) 120 points
>TOTAL 810 points

Why Grav for a Command vehicle?  In a campaign setting I can see it's
use as
part of a rapid reaction force, but in one battle like this, it's job is
stay out of the way.  If it needs grav superiority to avoid being hunted

down, you're in trouble.  You could have gone with Fast tracked, and
then,
given the weaponry, stuck with CFE.  You'd have shaved a lot of points,
probably enough for an extra vehicle or some improvements to your
others.

>Mechanised Platoon
>4 MRT IV (APC)
>Size 3, Basic Sig d8, Stealth 2, Eff Target Die d12, Mobility Grav(FGP)
>FC(enh), ECM(sup), Armour 2, HEL/1, GMS/L(enh), LAD, APSW(free),
>8 free capacity   @ 331 points, 1324 points
>Infantry(line) 4 assualt, 2 GMS/L(enh), 2 APSW 240 points
>TOTAL 1564 points

If you're going to spend points for a high-tech weapon for an IFV, go
with a
DFFG - you lose range, but their main job is NOT going toe-to-toe with
tanks, and the DFFG gives you devastating anti-infantry capabilities as
well
as a real significant punch up close. I'd have gone with a class 2 and
dropped the GMS/L.  and I'd have used rifle elements instead of assault.

>Recce Platoon
>4 MRT IV/R(econnaissance)
>as above but replaced FC with superior, HEL with DFFG/2 and GMS/L(enh)
with
>superior, 4 free capacity    @377 points, 1508 points
>Infantry(line) 4 rifle     80 points
>TOTAL 1588 points

No criticism at this point.

>Anti-tank Platoon
>4 MRT IV/M(issile)
>as above no FC, 3 x GMS/H(sup)    @390 points
>TOTAL 1560 points

Or here.

>Tank Platoon
>4 MBT
>size 3,  Armour 3 ,basic sig d8, stealth 2, target die d12, grav
>mobility(FGP), FC(sup), ECM(sup), MDC/3, GMS/H(sup), APSW(free) APFC @
350
>points
>TOTAL 1400 points

With all those fast IFV's, recce, and anti-tank units, I'd have gone
with a
Fast tracked MBT, and either gone with a cheaper engine type or up
gunned
it, say to an MDC 4. Then replace the GMS/H with a basic PDS.

>Area Defence Unit
>size 3, armour 3, basic sig d8/d6, stealth 2, target die d12/d6, grav
>mobility(FGP), FC(sup), ECM(sup), ADS (enh)	@ 535 points
>TOTAL 1070 points

Again, your air defense unit should be well-protected and not have to do

much in the way of outmanouvering enemy units, so fast tracked mobility
should have sufficed, freeing you to use a cheaper CFE power source.
Also,
when the balloon goes up, it's ADS should be on, rendering your superior
ECM
and high stealth levels a waste of points.

>Aerospace
>2 flights of 2 Ground Attack Aerospace
>Size 3, Armour 2, basic sig d8, FC(sup), ECM (sup), MDC/3, 2 DFO pods
>@ 397 points
>TOTAL 1588 points

nice, a pseudo-A-10. no complaints here.

>Casevac
>4 VTOLs @ 100 points
>TOTAL 400 points
>
>FORCE TOTAL 9980 points (I had originally said 8000 but had forgotten
about
>the casevac and aerospace

Still, you definitely could shave some points here and there. I love
playing
hi-tech, but not merely for the sake of BEING hi-tech.	Each
advancement,
each gadget, has it's strengths, to which you should play, and it's
weaknesses, which you should cover or avoid. A place for everything and
everything in it's place.

Brian Bilderback

Prev: Re: Gauss Weapons Next: Re: Gauss Weapons