Prev: Re: Rates of fire (was DS2 Balance) Next: Re: Lasers can't be defended against?

Re: Lasers can't be defended against?

From: wargamergmw@j...
Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2000 19:43:59 EDT
Subject: Re: Lasers can't be defended against?

Let me clarify this.  In the 1960's, IIRC, there were active IR
searchlights (for lack of the correct term) placed on AFV's  to detect
men and machines 'out there' but these were replaced (more or less, over
time) when "they" (read Warsaw Pact/Soviets) were able to provide
equipment capable of detecting active IR sources.  There still is a
place
for active IR search equipment in situations where it is necessary to
use
active systems and/or the enemy is believed to lack the means to detect
the user.

I assume most future IR would be passive but there is a possibility of a
user having and using active search equipment of any spectrum as s/he
feels there is an advantage (with increased risk) to using such
equipment.

Hope that's clearer.

Gracias.
Glenn Wilson, Triple Threat Wargamer - (loses equally well in
SF/Fantasy/Historical Games.)  Prefers Fantasy Dwarves, Starguard
Science
Fiction, 1500-1700 North America Skirmishes, the First Crusade.