Prev: RE: UNSC Deepspace Explorer (FT-1115) Next: Re: Detection by IR

Re: Detection by IR

From: sportyspam@h...
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2000 10:40:52 -0400 (EDT)
Subject: Re: Detection by IR

On Thu, 20 Apr 2000, Brian Quirt wrote:

>	As for 'future drives' I'm guessing that they would radiate AT
LEAST as
> much as the space shuttle (they have to move a larger mass at greater
> acceleration, at least assuming 1 thrust = 1g). Also, the best way to
> increase the efficiency of a drive is to make the reaction mass hotter
> (and thus easier to detect), while the best way to increase the thrust
> is to increase the mass of propellant used per unit time, thus also
> making it easier to detect. Yes, ejecta would be directional, but it
> would still be detectable pretty far out.

  I would assume that another way to make a drive more efficient is to
make the ejecta more uniformly directed.  Sorta like a laser that is
invisible until you blow smoke through them to reflect some of the
light.

  One of the ideas I like from Gundam is the idea of a particle that
makes
communication and detection nearly impossible beyond short distances.
So
you know SOMETHING is there because SOMETHING is emitting the particles,
but thats all the information you get.	Sorta cheesy, but it does let
big
mecha be a more plausible solution to combat situations...

  Anyway, my long-winded point is that even if something is directed,
all
you have to do is blow a little smoke.	:)  Regardless, no matter what
detection system you have, someone is going to think up some sort of
counter.

Prev: RE: UNSC Deepspace Explorer (FT-1115) Next: Re: Detection by IR