Prev: Re: Hide-n-Seek in minis gaming Next: My 2nd Mini

A Report actually from Australia, rather than about it.

From: aebrain@d...
Date: Mon, 17 Apr 2000 06:30:54 GMT
Subject: A Report actually from Australia, rather than about it.

http://www.aic.gov.au/stats/facts99/sec3.html

Australian Crime Statistics Report 1999 section 3

Publisher: Australian Institute of Criminology
Data Source: Australian Bureau of Statistics (ie the equivt of the US
Census
Bureau - about as objective as you can get)

new gun
control laws have made any significant difference to crime rates is
talking
through their hat, or deliberately distorting, misquoting, being
selective with,
or downright falsifying numbers to support a pre-judged political
position,
or unwittingly quoting from someone who did. The National Rifle
Association's
credibility here is now comparable with that of the National Inquirer as
the
result of their recent Charlton Heston ads. We expected better of them.

Since the laws were introduced in 96 but only implemented in 98 the lack
of
any impact is not surprising. Time will tell, but the few figs for 99 in
the
above show it's "more of the same".

These figs are accurate and precise enough to show the annual "March
Madness"
effect where the number of asssaults goes up in the stinking hot months
of February
and March.

Anyone interested in discussing this further PLEASE take it off the
list. I
will not reply to anything further on the list about this, but will be
glad
to give data, discuss analysis of data etc via e-mail personally.

Really OT, and parenthetically:
Of course people in the US might be interested in the absolute numbers,
showing
that we have about 1.4 homicides from all causes per million people per
month
( 1.6 per 100,000 annually). The US has had a massive drop in this rate
recently,
to only 4-5 times as much. See
http://www.ojp.usdoj.gov/bjs/homicide/hmrt.htm#longterm

But that's your country not mine, and neither the Bureau of Justice nor
the
FBI strike me as being particularly disinterested sources, compared
with, say
the US Census Bureau.

Prev: Re: Hide-n-Seek in minis gaming Next: My 2nd Mini