Prev: Re: Mission To Mars (not really...) Next: Re: Mission to Mars

Re: The essence of miniatures

From: "Laserlight" <laserlight@q...>
Date: Sun, 16 Apr 2000 19:57:02 -0400
Subject: Re: The essence of miniatures

>JRebori682@aol.com wrote:
>> Sounds like Columbia's block games. Lots of fun.
>
> *That's* the one!  I've been meaning to get that.
> It is a little pricy though.

Describe?  I'm thinking of a game that used cubes as playing
pieces.  One face of the cube was marked on each of the four
edges for effective strength; as the unit took damage, you'd
rotate it so the correct strength is up.  Your opponent wouldn't
know what the strength was--he couldn't see your side of the
cube.	I presume the progression was not necessarily 4/3/2/1,
ie it might be 4/3/3/1 or 4/1/1/1 (or 7/6/4/3, who knows).
That's all I remember about it--don't recall subject of the game
or anything.  At the time I saw it there were no opponents
anywhere near, so "fog of war" systems were pointless
investments.

>> Anyone ever thought of how
>> to use that in a strategic space game?
>> Hmm, sounds like a new project for me. Like I need a new one.
:-)

No problem.  Use them as fleet markers.  Scale = 1 hex per
system.  Your opponent would know (through intel activities)
that there was _something_ in the system, but not necessarily
exactly what.  Is that fleet a 4/3/2/1, or only a2/1/1/0?  When
two fleets are together in a system you can transfer units, but
you can only split off new units at designated bases (admirals
don't grow on trees).

Either buy dice and paint them, or buy little wooden (or
acrylic) cubes at a craft store.

Prev: Re: Mission To Mars (not really...) Next: Re: Mission to Mars