Prev: Re: Detection sources Next: RE: Active vs Passive (Gravity)

Re: Detection sources

From: Nyrath the nearly wise <nyrath@c...>
Date: Sun, 16 Apr 2000 09:21:35 -0400
Subject: Re: Detection sources

Roger Books wrote:

> On 15-Apr-00 at 19:21, Brian Quirt (baqrt@mta.ca) wrote:
>
> > The background is MUCH
> > cooler (a random patch of sky is probably going to be within
shouting
> > distance of absolute zero)
>
> This is one I would like verified by someone knowledgeble about
astronomy,
> just because a gas is thin doesn't mean the temperature is low.

	Due to the residual radiation from the Big Bang that
	created the universe, any given patch of sky
	will radiate at a value of at least 3 degrees Kelvin.
	Since 0 degrees Kelvin is absolute zero, this qualifies
	as "within shouting distance of absolute zero".

	I'm pretty sure that unless you are within a nebula
	or close to a massive release of hot gasses,
	the background will be around 3 degrees K.

	At least that's what the NASA CORE cosmic background
	radiation experiment found.

Prev: Re: Detection sources Next: RE: Active vs Passive (Gravity)