Prev: Re: More EW, the celebration continues! Next: Hidden Movement

Re: More EW, the celebration continues!

From: "Laserlight" <laserlight@q...>
Date: Sat, 15 Apr 2000 14:08:25 -0400
Subject: Re: More EW, the celebration continues!

>Build your drones like MT missiles but fit them with a Fire
Control system
>(based on the assumption that FCs have the targetting sensors).
When a drone
>gets near a target ship the friendly ship it is linked with
through the
>ships own FC (another assumption) can now fire on the target
based on the
>distance between the drone and the target. You can't of course
fire further
>than your weapons can reach. For example if the target was 10mu
from the
>drone and 30mu from the firer, the firer would roll 3 dice for
class-3 beams
>instead of 1 die for that range (30mu), but it would still be
out of range
>of smaller classes. Also if it was firing P-torp you would only
need a +3
>instead of the normal 6 to hit.

Let's consider the logic of this.  You paint a target with your
own FC, the signals come back with a delay for distance, and you
shoot based on that.  With the drone, the drone paints the
target, receives the signal with a delay for distance from
target to drone, processes it (another delay) and passes the
information on to you (a third delay).	Total distance delay
will be at least as much as if you had pinged the target
directly and will usually be more, plus you have the drone's
processing time.  I don't see that as making a hit more likely.

What it _will_ do is allow you to get ID information sooner, and
allow your ships time to close or evade as needed.  I'd think
that would tend to be part of the campaign scale game, though.

Prev: Re: More EW, the celebration continues! Next: Hidden Movement