Prev: Re: Underwater Rules Next: Re: Underwater Rules

Was Support Weapons in SGII now DSII

From: "Brian Bilderback" <bbilderback@h...>
Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2000 17:19:38 PDT
Subject: Was Support Weapons in SGII now DSII

The good Mr. Atkison's post induced me to sit down and make concrete
some
ideas I've had for a while.  They stem from several list threads: the
one I
started as a lark concerning the Soviet KPV; the thread concerning the
need
to improve RFAC/light MDC performance vs. infantry; and the idea I had
for a
SAVR.  I  tried to synthesize them in some ideas for some more expanded
weapons for DS II.  Here's what I came up with:

I have expanded APSW's into several classes: APSW/L; APSW/M; APSW/H; and
DP
APSW/H. Let me define each one:

APSW/L (Light): This would encompass SAW's and other similar light
machine
guns.  Per standard rules, they are already figured in to the firepower
of a
rifle element, so I do not give them any extra abilities for infantry.
However, I came up with a rule for their use by vehicles:
Space and costing:  A vehicle may replace an APSW/M (see below) with two

APSW/L's. An APSW/L Costs 2 points for costing.
Range and Damage: APSW/L's have a range of 6" and draw 1 damage chit,
validities are as for infantry weapons.

APSW/M (Medium): This encompasses most standard medium machine guns,
like
modern 7.62 mm stuff.  This is the category that follows standard DSII
rules
for APSW's.

APSW/H (Heavy): This category encompasses weapons like the .50 cal HMG,
14.5
mm KPV, as well as grenade launchers like the Mk. 19. They are even
deadlier
vs. infantry, and have limited anti-vehicle capabilities.
Space and costing: an APSW/H takes up 2 spaces and is full traverse. In
addition, it must be purchased with FireCon like larger weapons.  An
HPSW
costs 5 points.
Range and damage: APSW/H's have a range of 15".  Against infantry they
draw
4 chits, infantry weapon validities. Against vehicles they draw 1 chit.

Range bands and validities are: Close: 5", red chits only; Medium: 10",
yellow chits only; Long: 15", yellow chits only, at half value (round
down).
  All special chits except system down (firer) are disregarded vs armor
class 4 or heavier.

DP (Dual Purpose) APSW/H:  This is an APSW/H that has been equipped for
use
as an air defense weapon as well as ground capabilities.
Space and cost: A DP APSW/H takes up 3 spaces and costs 80 points.
Game use: A DP APSW/H can be used as both an APSW/H AND a LADS.

New rules for RFAC/light MDC use vs. infantry:

Increase the cost of RFAC's to 7 x weapons class, and MDC 1's and 2's to
11
x weapons class.

Following are the new dmages for RFAC's and MDC 's 1&2 vs. infantry:
Long range: 1 chit for class 1 RFAC's & MDC's, 2 chits for class 2 -
Yellow
Chits only
Medium range: 2 Chits for class 1, 3 chits for class 2, red chits only
Short range:  3 chits for class 1, 4 chits for class 2, red and yellow
chits
only
Close combat:  These weapons may now be used in close combat along with
the
vehicle's APSW's.  Draw 4 chits for class 1, 5 chits for class 2, all
colors
valid.

Much nastier now.... thus more expensive

Powered Armor troops may now be equipped with RFAC 1'S

SAVR's:
Hopefully these will be the final stats:
Cost: 4 points
Range: 6"
Draw 3 chits, use the same validities as IAVR's. In addition, IAVR and
SAVR
attacks vs units with PDS' is the same as against those with APFC's.
I read an article once that claimed that the Afghans used RPG's to some
effectiveness as anti-personnel weapons, and Oerjan mentioned the
beehive
round, so I also suggest SAVR's may fire on infantry like APSW/M's with
range of 6".

That's it for now....

Brian Bilderback

Prev: Re: Underwater Rules Next: Re: Underwater Rules