Prev: The Problem with EW Next: Simple Simon Sensors

RE: The Problem with EW

From: "Dean Gundberg" <dean.gundberg@n...>
Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2000 13:27:34 -0500
Subject: RE: The Problem with EW

> For example there has been discussion about defining area effect ECM
as
> extending the apparent range of ships within its' effect, making
> them harder
> to hit, this is the candle in the searchlight analogy. Of course if
the
> candle is hard to see and hit, the searchlight is likewise easier to
hit.
> Ships that carry this type of ECM have a short life and are
> unpopular as an
> assignment.

True, if you have ECM active, everyone will know you are there, but if I
have a very high power searchlight (ECM) and shine it in your face (ECM
active), you'd have a tough time shooting at me even though you knew the
general area where I was.  The 'searchlight' blinds you with the intense
radiation and your usual targeting sensors would be getting in so much
info,
you can't tell exactly where your target is.

That is at least how I see EW in this analogy :)  Area ECM ships may
become
the target of more fire but then all of the ships they are protecting
are
firing away at the attacking ships.

Dean Gundberg

Starship Combat News
The latest information on Space Games and Miniatures
http://star_ranger.homestead.com/
star_ranger@my-deja.com

Prev: The Problem with EW Next: Simple Simon Sensors