Prev: Re: FT: EW Next: Re: BDS

Re: PBeM, illegal orders

From: Roger Books <books@m...>
Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2000 09:17:59 -0400 (EDT)
Subject: Re: PBeM, illegal orders

On 11-Apr-00 at 00:19, Allan Goodall (agoodall@interlog.com) wrote:
> On Mon, 10 Apr 2000 15:48:53 -0400 (EDT), Roger Books
> <books@mail.state.fl.us> wrote:
>
> >What do you do when someone issues illegal orders in a PBeM?
> >I'm thinking about setting stuff up to chop the orders to
> >what the ship is capable of and going on, sound reasonable?
>
> When I ran a PBEM game 2.5 years ago (or was it 3.5? Geez!) I allowed
the
> admiral to give default orders that took over if no orders, or illegal
> orders, were given. This caused some problems as some players felt
left
> out of the game when the admiral submitted the group's orders on his
own.

> You can handle it in two ways: 1) do the illegal orders as much as
> possible; 2) ignore the illegal orders and do the default (usually
> straight ahead, no change in speed).
>
> Either way will work, and comes with it's own set of
> advantages/disadvantages, but your method is probably the most
reasonable.
> The problem will be if a thrust change is illegal along with an
illegal
> turn. What do you do? Give the most thrust first, then turn, or turn
first
> then change velocity due to thrust? Be consistent and post how you
will do
> it ahead of time, and you should be fine.

Because of the way my perl module works, it deals with course and
acceleration changes in the order given (to work with vector).	So
if you say +3P3 with a thrust 4 ship that will give you +3 velocity
and do a P1, whereas if you do a P3+3 you will do P2+2.  I'm using
the "pool" idea that I hear about in FB2.

Roger

Prev: Re: FT: EW Next: Re: BDS