Prev: Detection in tabletop games (was: EW) Next: Re: SG2: Aerospace Morale House Rule

Re: Detection in tabletop games (was: EW)

From: "John M. Atkinson" <john.m.atkinson@e...>
Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2000 06:49:23 -0400
Subject: Re: Detection in tabletop games (was: EW)

Mikko Kurki-Suonio wrote:

> Boardgamers have double-blind (though even that has its share of
> problems), but our problem is heightened by not having a discrete
playing
> ground (i.e. no hexes), and further in games like FT where the exact
> heading is important in addition to location.

FT, yes.  But for DSII it's pretty irrelevant.	For 'discrete playing
ground', try using a coordinate system, and for your
fixed-weapons-carriers, give a degree facing using an arbitrary north.

> Hidden movement would be nice, but IMHO practical considerations
preclude
> actual playable implementation in miniatures games...

As long as you're dashing from cover to cover, why?  Why not, if you
have two honest players and a referee,[1]

> When was the last time you saw a miniatures game about submarine
warfare?
> (Apparently TTG makes one, but it's one of theirs I don't have) WWII
> carrier warfare?

Space considerations preclude WWII carrier warfare unless you adopt a
ground scale so large that your carrier task force can be simulated
using specks of dust.

But to address the real complaint, if you are playing Dirtside in it's
published background, or most other SF backgrounds with any real thought
put into them, you have a LOT to take into consideration.  Sattelite
recon, aerospace fighters with camera pods, ground-based sensors from
radar on up, SIGINT, LRRPs, and the all-important drones--the US Force
XXI structure has a company of UAVs organic at the BRIGADE level, and
more at each additional echelon.  That's a lot of sensors focused on the
battlefield.  Hidden movement would have to figure out how to deal with
the information warfare being fought across the whole em spectrum, from
orbit down to the 6" seismic sensors dropped off by the scout platoon on
each hill.  Either you put in so many complicated rules that the players
spend more time acting as sensor operators, analysts, and S2 officer
that they can't focus on killing the enemy, or you abstract it to the
point that it's just another dice roll.  Most of this stuff is far, far
beyond the purview of the ordinary batallion commander(ie, the level of
command your average DSII game simulated), and both technical and
extremely boring besides.

John M. Atkinson
"Violence, nmake force, has settled more issues in history than any
other factor, and the contrary opinion is wishful thinking at it's
worst.	Breeds that forget this basic truth have always paid for it with
their lives and freedom."
		--Lt. Col. Jean V. Dubois, MI, Ret.
[1]I dunno about you, but I presume honesty until I catch 'em cheating.
At which point I refuse to be in the same room with him/her/it.

Prev: Detection in tabletop games (was: EW) Next: Re: SG2: Aerospace Morale House Rule