Prev: Re: [OT] Starwars Ep 1 Video now DVD topic Next: Sensors & NSL vs Kra'Vak

EW

From: Mikko Kurki-Suonio <maxxon@s...>
Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2000 11:51:00 +0300 (EEST)
Subject: EW

Hi,

 Thought I was gone for good? Wrong...

 My take on the EW issue:

FT is a simple, fun game. IMHO, it was designed to be, and I like it
that
way. Therefore

* Anything that adds dice rolls to the game IS A BAD THING(tm) *

So, I'll renew the simple EW suggestion I made a few years back:

Just fiddle with the effective range to target.

To elaborate, compare the sensor/ECM ratings. For each level of
difference, adjust effective range up or down by X MU. Sometimes it
helps,
sometimes it doesn't -- them's the breaks...

Points to tweak:

 - Actual X value. 4 MU might be a good starting point.
 - Whether you allow shortening actual range and/or exceeding
   normal range limits. You *could* say that these are physical
   limitations (i.e. superior sensors can nullify ECM, but not
   actually bring the target closer).
 - Whether it affects ordnance/fighter hit ranges

Now, I basically like the information warfare idea, but when we tried it
in practice, it *slows*down*the*game*horribly*. Either the sheets are
out
in the open at all times, or hidden at all times, but no fiddling,
please.

If you want to model a *huge* info warfare gap, you could simple let the
superior ships watch where everyone else is going and THEN write/execute
their move orders.

--
maxxon@swob.dna.fi (Mikko Kurki-Suonio) 	  | A pig who doesn't
fly

Prev: Re: [OT] Starwars Ep 1 Video now DVD topic Next: Sensors & NSL vs Kra'Vak