Prev: Re: FT III Next: RE: MT missiles

Re: FT scenarios

From: Beth Fulton <beth.fulton@m...>
Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2000 10:16:49 +1000
Subject: Re: FT scenarios

G'day Glen,

>1) "The Gamma Device",

Sounds pretty good.

>2) "Rock Station Gamma" where a spy station is hidden
>in an asteroid field and the enemy has finally sent a task
>force to deal with it.  Station reinforcements have already
>arrived and camouflaged themselves among the asteroids,
>unless they activate any systems or are successfully
>scanned by the enemy they look like "rocks".  I had a recent
>thought of allowing the station side to have jammers
>on some asteroids but what would it cost?  As a ship totalling
>36 (4 hull + 1 hull box + wide area jammer)?  Or with a single
>jammer totalling 25 (3 hull + 1 hull box + jammer)?

I'd say you could have either actually.

>Should the points be even or should one side have more?
>The attackers since they're being ambushed or the station
>defenders being at speed 0?

Guess it depends on how much their defensive position is worth. If the
SMs
can't detect the difference between rocks with bogey devices and ships
then
give the attacker more. I'd build the defense side first and then base
the
attackers on that, so how many support vessels are there in the asteroid
field?

> Can salvo missiles distinguish between a ship and an asteroid?
>What if an asteroid has a bogey device on it?

Guess this comes back to the argument of why can't they tell the
difference
between scouts and SDNs. Personally I'd say they could tell the
difference
between rocks and ships, unless the rocks have bogey devices on them or
the
ships dive behind the rock at the last second (ala ever space movie in
an
asteroid belt I've ever seen, I think), though not sure exactly how'd
you'd
manage that in FT (maybe if end such that the ship ends with an asteroid
between it and the SM marker(s) and the ship  is within 1" of the
rock??).
How are you going to deal with collision damage?

>Any other scenario ideas?  They don't have to have the
>base in it.

Off the top of my head:

1) Rather than just destroy a convoy make it that you have to board it
capture some special cargo on one of the ships, you can make it extra
interesting by having one ship transporting marines (Kudos to laserlight
for thinking up this scenario)
2) Invasion - have a fairly large attacking force hit a smaller defender
which can't 'rout'/strike the colours as they're defending home, at the
start of the game roll a D6 and that's when some major extra defenders
turn
up, and/or every turn roll D6 and that's the number of sublight system
defense boats that make it to the battle (will come in at fairly high
speed). We used both of these for the ESU attempt on the IAS homeworld
system and it worked well - we had an extra twist that not all my
sublight
boats were well armed, some were actually science vessels so we rolled
an
additional D6 for each boat coming in to see what kind it was.
3) Incursion - you must make it through a bloackade to drop off
troops/package/payload
4) Evacuation under fire - your worst enemies are here to take the
planet
and you've got to get the newly ex-Pres out before he becomes the newly
late Pres.
5) Stake the claim - however gets to that 'gold' bearing asteroid first
gets the 'gold'
6) Kidnap - like (1) except you're after a VIP (as a captive not as a
corpse) rather than merchandise
7) Pirate ambushes - was it Indy or someone that had written up some of
those??

Hope that at least gives you some germ of an idea.

>Something else came up about bases being superships
>having multiple sections.  If a NC or WMG hits it does
>every section take damage?

Well just as a gut reaction I'd say the WMG only does damage to those
sections actually facing it. NC is a bit tricker though, maybe full
strength to those facing it and half strength to the sections that
aren't
(curl around effects of the blast)?? I'd roll for each section
independently rather than take one roll and apply it everywhere.

>Do we not use sections when designing from FB1?

I'd use sections, but build each section seperately (as independent
vessels) and stick them together in the end - I'm guessing thrust isn't
going to be an issue for the station right?? Some clever sole has
designed
a B5 SSD (sorry can't remember the URL), but that maybe a place to start
for inspiration (worked well when we did a "shadows run the blockade to
blow up B5" scenario). Another alternative would be just to build SUPER
massive ships and then split it up into sections.

Cheers

Beth

----
----
Elizabeth Fulton
c/o CSIRO Division of Marine Research
GPO Box 1538
HOBART
TASMANIA 7001
AUSTRALIA
Phone (03) 6232 5018 International +61 3 6232 5018
Fax 03 6232 5053 International +61 3 6232 5053

email: beth.fulton@marine.csiro.au

Prev: Re: FT III Next: RE: MT missiles