Prev: Phalon Society Next: Re: Phalon and Sa'Vasku encounters on starmaps?

Re: Infantry Walkers for Stargrunt - from Heavy Gear figs...

From: adrian.johnson@s...
Date: Sat, 08 Apr 2000 20:47:34 -0400
Subject: Re: Infantry Walkers for Stargrunt - from Heavy Gear figs...

>Sounds like you've done a lot of work on this stuff.  I assumed HG
would be
>more easily converted to SG than to DS.  Thanks for the input.  In some

>ways, it would seem, DS makes it easier to build them,  especially DS'
>movement rules and the issue of the wheels - the simple house rule I
>proposed seems to cover it with little or no effort.

The problem you'd run into trying to convert HG *literally* into DS or
SG
is the scale of the figs.  The old HG figs are appx HO scale (I think) -
so
they are maybe 1/2 or 2/3 of what they should be if they were in-scale
to a
SG infantryman.  And of course they are WAAAYYY to big for DS.	Now, the
NEW HG scale might be better for DS, if you assumed that the Gears are
REALLY BIG(tm) vehicles (that would be Size: LOTS)... I think the new HG
scale is 10mm.

So, we decided to use the HG figs in SG as "generic" infantry
walkers/combat walkers, and fudge up *simple* rules to make them seem
plausible in the SG system.

>As for the weaponry, I don't know what the stats, ranges and such are
in HG,
>I just went with what I saw on the boxes of figures I looked at. It
looks
>like gears use a lot of multi-tubed rocket launchers.

Yep.  We use them as a support weapon in SG the same as the
over-the-shoulder rocket packs on PA.  The HG figure line has a bunch of
different single tube launchers suitable for GMS/L or GMS/H.  They also
have stuff suitable for RFAC and all the energy-type weapons.

Just before RAFM stopped producing the HG line, they released a series
of
blister packs that were just sets of Gear weapons.  There were several
different packs, with different types of stuff.  These are great for SG
scale vehicle conversions, as well (of course) as modifing Gears.  If
you
can find them, they're worth the purchase.  Very "generic sci-fi"
looking
big guns for 25mm.

Adrian Johnson
adrian.johnson@sympatico.ca

Prev: Phalon Society Next: Re: Phalon and Sa'Vasku encounters on starmaps?