Prev: DS II: Rambling as usual, this time about infantry and walkers and stuff Next: [OT]Starwars Ep 1 Video

Re: OT: A couple of Space Combat Related Purchases.

From: Michael Llaneza <imperialdispatches@y...>
Date: Fri, 7 Apr 2000 20:36:38 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: OT: A couple of Space Combat Related Purchases.

--- "Mark A. Siefert" <siefert@milwpc.com> wrote:
>	"Call to Arms" was everything I expected.  Most of the new units
are
> capital ships from previous Jovian Chronicle books translated to LS
> format.  So far, most of the designs remain true to the originals.
> There are also some interesting new rules for magsail vessels (they
act
> as stationary ships for gaming purposes, but produce some interesting
> terrain effects) as well as rules for low orbit battles, mines, and
> guidelines for vehicle design.  As usual, great graphic design work by
> DP9.	My only beef with it is the overall lack of counters.  Since
minis
> for most of these units aren't going to be out real soon, I'm going to
> need all the copies I can get.  I thought DP9 said that they were
going
> to put PDF files of the counters on the web site? (The lack of minis
is
> also hurting my quest to find LS players.  I keep running into
> wargammers who hold up there noses and tell me, "I don't play with
> COUNTERS."

Funny, I just played LS for the first time last night. Fun game. Exos
are hard
to kill, ganging up is going to be a necessary tactic. The fellow I
played
against threw together some 15mm samurai to use as exos (at that scale,
its
hard to tell) and did some scratchbuilds for the ships (pictures soon)
that
came out so well I'll have to check my bits box and try some myself. I
also
tried a quick anbd dirty houserule for vector movement: use the vector
marker
as the end point, and allow ships to move it with thrust. Our ships
spent more
time worrying about their Avoidance value (I had his BB down to -9 at
one
point) than in maneuvers, but the exos were all over the place.

Good game, try it if you haven't yet.

>	"Tactical Space Support" is a very good guide to space travel in
the HG
> universe.  It's contains lots of information on many of the vehicles
and
> equipment used in Terranovan space operations.  Aside from the
> information about gate travel, it seems very scientifically accurate.
>	However, the space combat rules have one major flaw:  THEY DON'T
MAKE
> ANY SENSE!  I was expecting, at the very least, a rehash of the space
> rules from Jovian Chronicles.  However, it appears that Marc Vezina
has
> decided to take a departure from the standard Silhouette system... as
> well as terrain, miniatures, or even counters.  That's right, you play
> with record sheets and a calculator!	Combat is a massive record
keeping
> game that keeps track of ship emissions and some abstract maneuvering
> concepts. Otherwise combat works just the same as in HG, only range
has
> to be kept track of on paper as well.  I'm sure that DP9 thinks that
> this is very "realistic."  However, it is also very boring.

Oh darn, that was the only thing that might have gotten me to add HG to
my
repertoire. Thanks for the warning. High Guard done poorly ? The mind
boggles.

http://im.yahoo.com

Prev: DS II: Rambling as usual, this time about infantry and walkers and stuff Next: [OT]Starwars Ep 1 Video