Prev: Re: EW/Sensors (simple rules) Next: Re: EW/Sensors (simple rules)

Re: EW/Sensors (simple rules)

From: Roger Books <books@m...>
Date: Fri, 7 Apr 2000 10:23:50 -0400 (EDT)
Subject: Re: EW/Sensors (simple rules)

On  7-Apr-00 at 10:15, devans@uneb.edu (devans@uneb.edu) wrote:

> ***
> I hate to be the nay-sayer, but I really don't like the idea of
forcing
> more FCS onto the ship.  FCS are for firing weapons, not detecting.
It's
> the difference between a radar and a laser painting device.
> ***
> If you know it's there you can shoot at it.
> ***
>
> I'm a bit of two minds here. However, it seems to me that you're
talking
> about two different things: ID'ing, which I'd say was based on long
> distance sensors, and spacial pin-pointing, which is what FCS do.
>
> I'd probably introduce levels/quality of rather than numbers of FCS,
for
> something like this, even though that's even MORE conplexxxity.
>
> If you know it's there, you know it's something and can shoot at it.
If
> you've got good sensors, you can know what it is, and if you've got
good
> FCS, you've got a chance of hitting at it.
>
> As with all my comments, off the top of head not fully thought out
prolly
> deserving of plasma-enhanced flaming.
>
> The_Beast

I guess what I am mostly getting at is I do not, in any way shape or
form, want to re-create SFB EW.  It is fine for a 2 ship duel, I
want to avoid all the die rolling it requires for a fleet action.
If I want to manage power and play EW fire control defeating games
I'll play SFB.	If I want a fleet game I want FT, whose primary
design rules seems to have been KISS.

Roger (Don't want to be Honor Harrington, much prefer to be Admiral
Whitehaven).

Prev: Re: EW/Sensors (simple rules) Next: Re: EW/Sensors (simple rules)