Prev: Re: FT - Large scale fleet engagements Next: DSII KV vehicles

Re: MT missiles and point costs

From: "Oerjan Ohlson" <oerjan.ohlson@t...>
Date: Thu, 6 Apr 2000 22:30:46 +0200
Subject: Re: MT missiles and point costs

Time for some descriptive statistics of the kind The Beast abhors <g>
again:

Reen-Shuler Adrian wrote:

[BTW - if you write your reply below the text you're replying to, and
snip  irrelevant parts like most of the header of the replied-to post,
your posts will be a lot easier to read...]

>Not all the EMP results are just 1 in 6 chance of system failure.  I
don't
>have the book in front of me,	but I think chance of failure may go as
>high as 50%.  Granted the missile only has a 1 in 6 chance of causing
>that result, but still, it's bad news.

If the EMP missile makes it past the target's point defence, it rolls
1d6 - (target's screen level):

1-2 No damage
3-4 Check for every system on board: 5+ to damage
5-6 Check for every system on board: 6+ to damage

IOW:

If the target has no screens, it will lose on average 28% (5/18) of its
systems.
If it has level-1 screens, it will lose on average 19% (7/36) of its
systems.
If it has level-2 screens, it will lose on average 11% (1/9) of its
systems.

The case you describe is the level-1 screen target.

As Roger says, capital ships usually have enough DCPs to repair any
critical systems downed by the EMP pulse PDQ, unless you can follow the
EMP strike up immediately with other (ie, non-missile) weapons. And I
mean *immediately* - ie, the same turn.

OK, if you fight NSL-style ships (very slow = can't dodge at all, and
no screens) the EMP missile might be worth as much as 6.5 or even 7
points...

Regards,

Oerjan Ohlson
oerjan.ohlson@telia.com

"Life is like a sewer.
- Hen3ry

Prev: Re: FT - Large scale fleet engagements Next: DSII KV vehicles