Prev: Re: More FB2 errata Next: Re: FT3 -- Cloaking

Re: FT - Large scale fleet engagements

From: Roger Books <books@m...>
Date: Thu, 6 Apr 2000 10:46:36 -0400 (EDT)
Subject: Re: FT - Large scale fleet engagements

On  5-Apr-00 at 10:52, Reen-Shuler Adrian (reen-shuler.a@mellon.com)
wrote:
> I'm new to the list and was wondering if anyone had found a good way
> play large (10+ SD's per side) fleet battles.
>
> A friend and I have tried several methods, from using the straight FB2
> rules (you end up rolling huge numbers of dice), to grouping weapons
in
> multiple weaponn groups (i.e. rolling one die for every 5 Class 2
> batteries). Neither method seemed satisfactory.
>
> A bigger problem was that SM's have dominated the game every time we
play
> (even when we have an integrated PD net: every SD has Area Defense fir
con
> and 10 PDFs).  In one particularly agregious game 2 SD effectively
crippled
> (i.e. 50-75% damage) more than 10 opposing SD's in a single turn.
Does any
> one have effective tactics for defeating SM heavy SD's?
>
> Or should the SM point costs just be higher?

Nope,

assuming cinematic, speed, speed, and more speed.  Realize once those
SM ships have spent their missiles they are nothing more than heavy
cruisers.  If you force them to spend the missiles guessing where
you'll be you take out much of the punch.

Thrust two ships need to be going faster than 24MU, Thrust 4 needs to be

going faster than 10MU, these are minimums.  At these speeds you force
them to waste half their missiles guessing.  Even faster is better,
with thrust 4 ships moving at 18 you can force them to waste 2/3 of
their
missiles.

If you are playing vector limit them to 3MU range and have no ships
with thrust less than 5, one to swing you and 4 to move.  Zig zag,
go directions he thinks you won't.  Make him waste missiles.  Take
your lumps and once he is out of missiles hammer him.

Roger

Prev: Re: More FB2 errata Next: Re: FT3 -- Cloaking