Prev: RE: Game Saturday (San Francisco Bay Area, CA, USA) Next: Re: FB2 Status???

Re: BDS

From: "Oerjan Ohlson" <oerjan.ohlson@t...>
Date: Wed, 5 Apr 2000 18:24:02 +0200
Subject: Re: BDS

Thomas.Barclay wrote:

>Okay BDS fans,
>
>Keep in mind two things when anticipating this product:
>
>1) Jon has already indicated it isn't as important as FB2 and I
believe >he also indicated getting a skirmish game out there
(FMASkirmish) is >actually more important business wise. I appreciate
that his decisions >must be made this way, so be prepared for a wait
(think what the >FB2ers went through....).

Us FB2ers only waited for a bit less than two years... I think you
meant "what the FB1ers went through" - five years, and even that is
less than the time that has elapsed since BDS was hinted at <g>
Besides, FB2 is finished now...

>2) If you think FB needs playtesting, imagine how much playtesting you
>have to put into stuff that is supposed to work in DS2 (with a point
>system and one system of mechanics) and SG2 (without a point >system,
with another set of systems) both. Picture it as trying to >balance a
ship for both cinematic and vector.

Not exactly. Any alien mechanics in DSII would be as separate from
their SGII counterparts as the current DSII rules are from SGII, so
they don't need to be balanced together. Balancing the SGII rules is
very easy, since there's no points system to balance anyway <shrug>

However, both of the ground combat games are a *lot* more complex than
Full Thrust, which of course increases the playtest work!

>No easy task. BDS had better give itself the same length of time
>to mature.

<chuckle>

>We've waited this long, let's try to get it right rather than right
now.

"Let's try to get Jon to concentrate as much on this as he recently did
on FB2" ;-)

Later,

Oerjan Ohlson
oerjan.ohlson@telia.com

"Life is like a sewer.
- Hen3ry

Prev: RE: Game Saturday (San Francisco Bay Area, CA, USA) Next: Re: FB2 Status???