Prev: Re: FT - Large scale fleet engagements Next: Re: Airbrushing, masking, and Frisket

Re: Airbrushing, masking, and Frisket

From: "Scott Jaqua" <jaqua@c...>
Date: Wed, 5 Apr 2000 08:15:30 -0700
Subject: Re: Airbrushing, masking, and Frisket

> 1) Someone please explain to me why I'd want (and what is) a double
action
> airbrush over a so called single action one? What other features
should I
> look for in an airbrush/compressor? I want to buy a good one.

Easy Answer is that  double action Air brush can be adjusted to produce
smaller spray area then a single action. I have both. When work on
larger
items you can produce stripes and such with the double action. On mini's
both produce too large a spray area to do any detail work. However I use
an
airbrush to lay down  the base color on mini's. It produces a much more
even
coat. This really helps with colors that don't cover well. I can do a
dozen
light coats and not worry about too much paint or making the coat before
run.

> 4) Airbrush paints - Must I buy a whole new set of paints? I have
Tamiya
and
> Humbrol and Ral Partha paints galore... must these be added to with
another
> whole set for an airbrush? Or is thinning and using them an option? If
so,
> how much to thin, or with what?

I use poly-s airbrush thinner about 40% thinner and 60% paint by volume.
This works with most hobby acrylic paints. I have not used Humbrol
paints,
But I know it works with Ral Partha, Tamiya and Testers model master
acrylics. The deal is that you need a fine ground pigment, which most
hobby
paints have. A double action airbrush requires finer pigment and thinner
paint then a single action brush.

Scott Jaqua

Prev: Re: FT - Large scale fleet engagements Next: Re: Airbrushing, masking, and Frisket