Prev: Re: [OT] New Player Next: SG2: VARIATIONS

Re: SG2, a little help with some weapon statistics

From: db-ft@w... (David Brewer)
Date: Wed, 05 Apr 2000 01:34:51 GMT
Subject: Re: SG2, a little help with some weapon statistics

In message <200004041017.DAA10493@s7.mailbank.com> "Steve Pugh" writes:
> > Well, that's fine, but that's what I meant about dumbing down
weapons
> > to play games only with the 40K universe. A boltgun is, as I
> > mentioned, a .75 cal assault rifle which fires explosive rounds.
That
> > would seem to be a little more than an advanced assault rifle.
>
> Look at a Bolt Gun. If it's .75cal then how many rounds will fit in
> the magazine?

...much the same as a shotgun with a box magazine, IIRC 12-bore
shotguns have a nominal bore diameter of .729". A boltgun is not
unlike a full-auto shotgun that doesn't fire shot.

> Big round fired from a short barrel, low ammo capacity.

...and rocket-propelled (which also hurts accuracy)...

> So that's low accuracy _and_ low rate of fire. Make it FP1.

...or restrict the number of range bands to 2 or 1, like an SMG.
If you represent a bolter as a super-advanced SMG, then marines
will be forced to rush into close-quarters battle as fast as
possible, which sounds very GW.

Laser-toting "guardsmen"-type troops with low FP, low impact
weapons would do better to use large squads to supress enemy at
long range and kill them with support weapons, which does not seem
un-GW either.

> HE round which if I remember my WH bumpf correctly is designed to
> explode after penetrating the body (so definitely not HEAT, etc.).
> That doesn't fit well with SGII where penetration and damage
> potential are combined into the single Impact value. So compromise
> and give it a medium I value: D10. Or give it D12 but give armoured
> targets a die shift to their armour die.

If you consider the exploding bolt to act like a grenade then you
could use a D-big for impact at short range and D-small at longer
ranges to represent fragmentation.

--
David Brewer

Prev: Re: [OT] New Player Next: SG2: VARIATIONS