Prev: Re: FB2 errata Next: Re: SG2, a little help with some weapon statistics

Re: The Sorrows of Airbrushing

From: "Kevin Walker" <sage5@h...>
Date: Tue, 04 Apr 2000 02:37:17 -0500
Subject: Re: The Sorrows of Airbrushing

>  Everything was going just fine until I got to the masking part of the
> model.  The olive drab coat covered nicely.  Then I masked off the
> stripes with masking tape.  OK so far.  Then I painted over the olive
> coat with the U.S. Green.  After waiting for it to dry, I peeled away
> the tape...

Mark, you may want to use frisking material instead of taping.
Frisking (if I'm using the term properly) is using a film of sorts
with cut outs to get the paint to go down in patterns of your
choosing.

Masking tape has rarely worked with my modeling as the edges tend to
bleed especially with the consistency of the paint one typically
airbrushes with.

Another material to consider is something called MicroMask.  It's a
liquid you brush on and let dry, cutting off portion where you want
the paint to adhere.  Modelers use this item on airplane canopies to
keep paint from the clear portions of the model.  This makes painting
the struts easier (paint is very hard to remove from clear plastic
without damage and sealers cloud the clear plastic if not masked off).

I hope this is of assistance to you.

Kevin Walker
sage5@home.com

Prev: Re: FB2 errata Next: Re: SG2, a little help with some weapon statistics