Prev: RE: [HH] Bishop Takes Rook - Call for players Next: GZG West Coast Con Update

Re: What are Narn Bats?

From: "Mark A. Siefert" <siefert@m...>
Date: Tue, 04 Apr 2000 00:41:00 -0500
Subject: Re: What are Narn Bats?

William Spencer wrote:

> Er...pardon this odd and silly question, but...what the heck is a Narn
Bat
> Squad?
>
> A squadron of bats from the planet Narn? A squad of aliens called
Narn,
> armed with bats? A squadron of a certain classification of spaceship?
An
> alien sports team? Or maybe it's one of those acronyms that some GZG
VIP was
> going to compile into a FAQ PDQ...
>
> (Hmm, aren't "Narn" one of the alien races from Babylon 5? Or am I
thinking
> of something else? I don't know, I never got into the show...)

	The reference is from rec.arts.tv.babylon5.misc.  During the
series
opening season, the horrific malt-liqour beverage "Zima" was advertising
on the show.  They even had a neon Zima sign on a bar set.
	Zima, if you remember, had those ads with the guy in the stupid
hat who
would replace his "s"-es with "z"-s.  J. Michael Straczynski, the shows
creator, posted a message to r.a.t.b5.m where he imagined a scene where
the Zima pitchman is on the station.  He says "Zo, Nice Ztation" to Cmd.
Sinclair, and is then promptly beaten to pulp by a bunch of baseball bat
wielding Narn.
	Thus the Narn Bat Squad is born.  It is unleashed on anyone who
posts a
particularly bad pun or joke onto the newsgroup.  Through the magic of
the Internet, the phrase has spread to other sci-fi related net-haunts.
--
Later,
Mark A. Siefert

	"Let joy be unconfined. Let there be dancing in the streets,
	drinking in the saloons, and necking in the parlor."

				      --Groucho Marx (as Otis Driftwood)
					"A Night At the Opera"

E-MAIL: siefert@milwpc.com	      WWW: http://www.uwm.edu/~cthulhu
=

Prev: RE: [HH] Bishop Takes Rook - Call for players Next: GZG West Coast Con Update