Prev: Re: KV Language Next: Re: Top Ten List was Re: KV Language

Re: Top Ten List was Re: KV Language

From: "Brian Bilderback" <bbilderback@h...>
Date: Sat, 01 Apr 2000 22:15:32 PST
Subject: Re: Top Ten List was Re: KV Language

----Original Message Follows----
From: "Laserlight" <laserlight@quixnet.net>
To: <gzg-l@CSUA.Berkeley.EDU>
Subject: Top Ten List was Re: KV Language
Date: Sat, 1 Apr 2000 23:27:11 -0500

  "Sorrow Killer" and such names reminded me of my Top Ten All
Time Best SF Books: Donald Kingsbury's Courtship Rite.	If you
haven't read it, it's undoubtedly because you haven't found a
copy yet (or else you're a drooling, ignorant oaf who is really
hankering to get back to Games Workslop).

BBi:*drool* I guess that's appropriate, since I've never read it nor
HEARD
of it, but now I suppose I'kll have to (though I'm tempted not to just
to be
a troublemaker)....

Since I'm sure you're all waiting with bated breath to find out
what the other nine are...
(no particular order)
Mote in God's Eye

BBi: I'm told it's excellent, it's on my "I've always wanted to read it,

just never go around to it" list.

The Moon is a Harsh Mistress

BBi: Heinlein's my fire-and-ice author, I love some of his stuff, hate
the
rest (Loved SST, Loathed Farnham's Freehold).  This is by far and away
my
favorite of his books.

The Warrior's Apprentice (Lois Bujold)
The Island Worlds (Eric Kotani & John Maddox Roberts)

BBi: Well, thanks so much for giving me more books to add to my "I'll
have
to check that out" list (I need to assemble a list of lists. Sheesh).

A Fire Upon the Deep (Vernor Vinge) -- this is the one most like
Courtship Rite, by the way

BBi:  See Mote

Hm.  That's only 10 if we're counting in base-6.  So let's
consider  The Ganymede Club (Sheffield), The Moon Goddess and
the Son (Kingsbury again), perhaps Civil Campaign (Bujold),

BBi: See Warrior/Island above

and
let's throw in a Heinlein juvenile for old times' sake, say
Space Cadet.

BBi: Naw. If you're going to do a RAH Juvenile, go with Red Planet.

While I'm tossing in my coinage, might I also suggest the short story
collection Nightfall by Asimov, as well as just about anything... no,
scratch the just about, ANYTHING by Ray Bradbury.(I've yet to find any
that
was poorly written, though The October Country and the Illustrated man
were
both too spooky for my wimpy tastes)

Brian B

Prev: Re: KV Language Next: Re: Top Ten List was Re: KV Language