Prev: Re: [HH] Bishop Takes Rook - Call for players Next: Think first! Re: [HH] Bishop Takes Rook - Call for players

FT thoughts Re: Interesting Camo

From: devans@u...
Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2000 07:39:10 -0600
Subject: FT thoughts Re: Interesting Camo

Just as  an aside, I have played spaceship games under black light,
though not FTII. I'll just make a couple of observations.

The coal-black of space may mean you try to get by with black sheets
for the table, but, at least in the US, laundry detergents have a lot
of fluorescing chemicals, so the sheet itself may glow a bit, and dust
WILL show up greatly. A brightly painted sheet, like, say, er, oh, I
know, a Geo-Hex starmat, *grin* helps to hide this a lot.

This will look most like space in an otherwise darkened room, but
info sheets, dice (yes, even glow-in-the-dark ones), etc, is problematic
at best. Depth perception goes to heck, too.

I tried fluorescent monofiliment fishing line tied to the base post to
represent beam weopens. The white stuff didn't glow perceptably, but the
green and red was smashing. The little marks I made on the line for
measuring distance of shots didn't work so well.

Of course, you'll want to get fluorescing model paint to mark tics on
the ships base rosettes, but you'll be surprised how dark the shadow of
the ship itself can be.

I think I went through this a long time ago, but a) we can stand a good
repeat for newcomers now and then, b) at my advanced age, I'm expected
to drone on aimlessly now and again.

The_Beast

Prev: Re: [HH] Bishop Takes Rook - Call for players Next: Think first! Re: [HH] Bishop Takes Rook - Call for players