Prev: RE: Full Metal Americas Next: RE: [OT] OGRE

RE: [DS2] While we're on the subject of firing arcs....

From: "Bell, Brian K" <Brian_Bell@d...>
Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2000 07:50:44 -0500
Subject: RE: [DS2] While we're on the subject of firing arcs....

I will take a stab in the dark at this...

I imagine that the rule was put into place to allow the movement rules
ignore turns.
If fixed mount vehicles could move and then fire, they could do a full
movement,
turn to bring the opponent into arc, and fire the fixed mount weapon.
This
would
make a turret less cost-effective.

It may be a good house rule to allow fixed mount weapons to fire after
movement
ONLY IF they move less than half of thier movement rating.

I would still allow opprotunity fire and overwatch fire (if you use that
house rule),
but only if the enemy wanders into the correct arc.

-----
Brian Bell
bkb@beol.net
-----

THEN

> move? I know that in terms of game mechanics, this is to offset the
> smaller
> space requirement. But in real life terms, is this justified?  I don't
> know,
> I was hoping someone with some experience could give their input.
>
> It seems to REALLY limit their usefulness, which DOES seem realistic,
> since
> the entire vehicle has to turn to turn the gun. As it stands, unless
it's
> in
> hidden placement, you basically have to willingly manouver right into
such
> vehicle's arc BEFORE it's activation in order to be it's target.
However,
> there must be a better way to reflect this?
>
> Instead, why not establish a rule that a vehicle MAY fire a fixed-arc
> weapon
> AFTER movement, but not for opportunity fire, and also impose either a

> penalty to it's accuracy, charge it one of it's Base Movement Points,
or
> both (Which seems most logical)?
>
> However, I would not recommend applying this rule in any way to
off-board
> arty - if they shoot-and-scoot, they should not be allowed to fire the
> next
> turn (in other words, keep the rule as it is for them), or they would
> become
> far too powerful, able to fire every turn without impunity.
>
> As for ON-board artillery, this rule change would not really affect
them
> much (It would be suicide to move then fire as arty, that just BEGS a
CBR