Prev: Re: [OT] OGRE Next: Re: [FMC/FMA] Samurai Skirmish

Re: Sorry, no New Anglicans allowed

From: Allan Goodall <agoodall@i...>
Date: Sun, 19 Mar 2000 22:18:23 -0500
Subject: Re: Sorry, no New Anglicans allowed

On Mon, 20 Mar 2000 12:18:42 +1000, Alan E and Carmel J Brain
<aebrain@dynamite.com.au> wrote:

>Yes, you're right. But Anglican/Episcopalianism is probably the
official
>state religion, not that anyone in the NAC actually cares about this.
>Heck, they've probably merged with the Catholics by 2100.

If it follows the US/Canada model, it won't have a state religion. Lots
of
Anglicans in the NAC, but lots of Presbyterians, too. The United Church
(mix
of Presbyterian, Methodist, and Congregational) is, I believe, the
largest
protestent sect in Canada. There are a lot of Baptists in the US. Quebec
is
heavily Catholic (as would be the Cal-Tex nation, actually) and there
are
quite a few Catholic jurisdictions throughout the US. (particularly in
the
major northern cities). Don't forget the Mormons in Utah, and how they'd
feel
about a "state religion"...

Jon's universe doesn't cover immigration much, but there are a lot of
Asian
immigrants in Canada. Add Buddhism, and Hindu, to name just a few. For
that
matter, there are enclaves of voodoo worship that are entrenched in
North
America (what DID happen to the Caribbean Islands, anyway, in the
Tuffleyverse?).

I don't see the NAC having a formal state religion at all, whether or
not
anyone cares. Trying to define a state religion would shatter the NAC.
In
fact, I see the NAC as probably the most multicultural of all the future
nations in the Tuffleyverse.

Allan Goodall		       agoodall@interlog.com
Goodall's Grotto: http://www.interlog.com/~agoodall/

Prev: Re: [OT] OGRE Next: Re: [FMC/FMA] Samurai Skirmish