Prev: Re: A film I forgot Next: Re: Combat films

Re: OK, what should I paint these blasted things?

From: Samuel Reynolds <reynol@p...>
Date: Sat, 18 Mar 2000 10:02:40 -0700
Subject: Re: OK, what should I paint these blasted things?

>Hello all:
>
>	I got a whole mess of DSII minis (AFVs and infantry mainly) at
last
>years GenCon, and I'm finally getting around to painting them.  Since
>I'm in need some ideas, I was curious as to how all you Groupos out
>there in GZG Mailing List Land paint your DSII forces?
>
>--
>Later,
>Mark A. Siefert

I figure they have a chameleon coating, so paint them
as I please to be able to readily identify them. For
most of my forces, I used a black primer/basecoat,
drybrushed with medium gray then (lightly) with light
gray, and picked out the tracks with light gray or steel.
Then I picked out some details on about half with primary
blue and the other half with primary red, so I can split
the forces for "training exercises" (i.e., if someone
doesn't bring their own). And call them Force Blue and
Force Red. ;-) I've used this for GZG tracked tanks in various
sizes, as well as AA and missile tanks, and for Battletech
pieces--including Savannah Master hoverscouts.

My infantry is Battletech stuff (and therefore oversize).
It's basically black with gray drybrush and steel weapon
barrels. Faces are single-color flesh, faceplates are
single-color blue, and I'm considering whether to try to
pick out any details on larger weapons to provide some
visual disinction from across the table.

A pack of 20 plastic hover APCs (I can't think of the mfg
at the moment, but I think there's only one mfg that makes
and distributes such) I painted up in 3 different blotch
camos:

o  (6) Forest camo: Olive green with forest green blotches
   and bands and partial black "edges" on the blotches.

o  (6) Desert camo: Just like forest, but sandy-tan base,
   burnt & raw sienna blotches, and black edges.

o  (8) City (rubble): Light gray base, dark gray sharp-edged
   blotches (with edges running in various directions),
   and partial black and/or white edges. This would also
   work reasonably well for lunar camo, though a
   higher-contrast dazzle might be better.

On all these camos, I painted the hover skirts black, then
"wet-brushed" with a dark brown and drybrushed with a medium
brown.

- Sam
Samuel Reynolds
Spinward Stars: http://www.spinwardstars.com/
Reynolds Virtual Workshop: http://www.primenet.com/~reynol
reynol@primenet.com
samuel_reynolds@csgsystems.com

Prev: Re: A film I forgot Next: Re: Combat films