Prev: Stats and other strangeness Next: Re: Combat films

A film I forgot

From: Thomas Barclay of the Clan Barclay <kaladorn@h...>
Date: Sat, 18 Mar 2000 04:18:11 -0500
Subject: A film I forgot

Forgot another interesting film:

Either the Light Horsemen or Anzacs (I can't remember which it was that
covered the attack on Beersheba).

Interesting to see rifles sighted to 2000 yards for volley fire and a
(quite mad) cavalry charge against guns.

Gallipoli was also interesting. What an awful little spot.

And Zulu, Zulu Dawn, and (IIRC) Rourke's Drift were all interesting
movies. The Zulus (if they'd had rifles) would have been a terrifying
force.... something tells me if enough Zulu blood remains for the PAU of
2183, they'll be nasty opponents. Smart, tough, and obedient.

To add to the list of "cheesy, but fun to watch", I'd add Uncommon
Valour and  Platoon Leader. And of course, I have to admit to having
enjoyed the Two Sands of Iwo Jima, Flying Leathernecks, and the Fighting
Seabees.

The Sharpe series with Sean Bean is one of the better bits of historical
drama/fiction, and Hornblower wasn't bad either (probably reasonably
true to the books in both cases).

An interesting study in Napoleonic times (no expert, so it could be
bunk) was a film called "The Duellists".

And finally, I'll recommend a few books: The Hornblower series (from
which the TV shows were made), the book from which Cross of Iron was
made, anything by Sven Hassle (think I spelled that right) (eastern
front WW2 stuff), and a recent book called the Hot Gates about Leonidas
and his Spartans (and allies) at Thermopylae which is probably my
favorite historical novel so far.

"Good? Bad? I'm the guy with the gun." - Ash, Army of Darkness

Homepage: http:\\fox.ntsn.ca\~kaladorn\index.html
ICQ: 58316640 (Tomin8tor)

"Ah. I see. Inform me if there is any change in his condition."
<hangs up the phone>
"How is he?"
"He's dead."
-- The movie Top Secret

Prev: Stats and other strangeness Next: Re: Combat films