Prev: Re: Liberal/Conservative Next: Re: Starmaps

Re: Starship Troopers (was RE: Mission to Mars)

From: Allan Goodall <agoodall@i...>
Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2000 23:13:20 -0500
Subject: Re: Starship Troopers (was RE: Mission to Mars)

On Fri, 17 Mar 2000 03:05:38 GMT, db-ft@westmore.demon.co.uk (David
Brewer)
wrote:

>Liberal and conservative (small "l", small "c") mean what they
>mean. Liberal means open-minded and unprejudiced. Conservative
>means ill-disposed to change and non-extremist. I, personally, am
>quite happy to be both. If you meet any radical conservatives or
>liberal bigots be sure you tell them what oxymorons they are.

Quite true. This is the interesting thing about current politics. Most
people
are NOT conservative or liberal but a mix of both. They fall on a scale,
yet
political parties tend to be polarized.

Take the New Democratic Party in Canada. They are pro labour union, but
anti
military and socially liberal. Most of the people who vote for them are
in
labour unions. However, those very same people are usually socially
conservative. So, right off the party has this weird duality that
doesn't jive
with some of their more arduent supporters.

Allan Goodall		       agoodall@interlog.com
Goodall's Grotto: http://www.interlog.com/~agoodall/

Prev: Re: Liberal/Conservative Next: Re: Starmaps