Prev: Re: Mission To Mars (not really...) Next: Re: Mission to Mars

Re: Combat films

From: Michael Sarno <msarno@p...>
Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2000 20:15:31 -0500
Subject: Re: Combat films

adrian.johnson@sympatico.ca wrote:

> And rent Das Boot in the original German (with English subtitles) if
you
> can find that version - I saw it in the theatres when originally
released
> and it blew me away.	More so the German version than the dubbed one.
And
> I recommend avoiding the special edition extendamix version of Das
Boot -
> the extra footage doesn't add anything to the story.

    You're right, the "director's cut" doesn't add anything to the
story.	The
story in "Das Boot" is rather simple and it would be difficult to add to
it
without actually taking something away from it.  The real strength of
"Das Boot"
is in its realism and in the film's ability to capture the mood and
feeling of
being in submarine warfare.  The "director's cut" does the original one
better.
It's available for purchase at Suncoast Video: director's cut, German
with
subtitles, widescreen format.

-Mike

--
Michael Sarno

http://vietnam.isonfire.com
Check out the Charlie Company Discussion Group:
Info, resources, and links for RAFM's miniatures
skirmish wargame of infantry combat in Vietnam 1965-1972

"Tradition refuses to submit to the small and
 arrogant oligarchy of those who merely happen
 to be walking about."
 -G.K. Chesterton

Prev: Re: Mission To Mars (not really...) Next: Re: Mission to Mars