Prev: Re: Mission to Mars Next: Re: Mission to Mars

Re: Mission to Mars

From: Popeyesays@a...
Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2000 11:48:22 EST
Subject: Re: Mission to Mars

In a message dated 3/16/00 10:30:45 AM Central Standard Time,
los@cris.com
writes:

<< SPR =saving Private Ryan. A whole internet cottage industry seems to
have
evolved
 trying to prove how much the film sucks because of this or that minor
technical
 errors >>

It is all a matter of a "willing suspension of disbelief" theater and
film
require it to a large degree. There are many things unbelievable about
the
experience in a darkened theater - you have to be willing to step beyond
them
to allow the play or movie to affect you. What amazes me is here we are
on a
list devoted to playing games with little toy soldiers and ships - yet
we
can't accept fthe filmic nature of a movie which deals with the same
subject.

How can one have ANY belief in a space game system that depicts combat
between more than three ships occupying points in three dimensions in a
TWO
dimensional format - it is ridiculously inaccurate! QUIT PLAYING
IMMEDIATELY!
How can we accept a game depicting combat in the future which depicts
such
unbelievable aspects as "anti-gravity" when it does not exist in
reality?
Working hovertanks? It is laughable, LAUGHABLE I TELL YOU! Orbital
Artillery
strikes - name one that has happened in real life - Ha! Knew you could
not!

Now in that framework, we have to listen to people paste a movie about
unbelievability? Look past the inaccuracy - it is a convention. Look
past the
filmic use of a device or weapon that is patently WRONG - they could not
find
one that was patently RIGHT. There is still good experience to be had in
the
filmic or theatric presentation of a story about PEOPLE. As a world
culture
we have realized that since people gathered round the fire to describe a

successful hunt by dancing and singing. To deny the power of the
dramatic
story to describe the human condition is ludicrous at best.

That being said - Starship Troopers was still a stinker and the Dutchman

should be hunted down and shot out of hand.

Prev: Re: Mission to Mars Next: Re: Mission to Mars