Prev: RE: [Page] Next: Re: Sorta Off Topic, Orbital Bombardment and Long

Re: KV, Humans, and Political Divisions

From: "Laserlight" <laserlight@q...>
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2000 19:18:35 -0500
Subject: Re: KV, Humans, and Political Divisions

>Laserlight,
>I think that, perhaps, you are an exception.
>From your post, it seems that you have had a fair amount of
time to talk
>with and, thus, pick up on the distinction between North
American regional
>dialects. However, how long did this take? Some people are
gifted in this
>manner, however, for most people, it would take a deal of
exposure to be
>able to identify the differences.

Well, yes, I've been in sales or related fields for roughly 12
years--not that it took me that long to learn accents.	But my
point was that you can pick up more differences with more
study--an Aussie would have no chance of picking up the
difference between a Raleigh drawl and an Asheville twang at
first, but after listening for a few years he could.  Similarly,
the KV may look like a monolithic socieety to us right now, but
as we learn more about them we'll begin to see the segments of
their society.	In about a month, say.

So you're agreeing with me.  As is only reasonable...	 : - )

Prev: RE: [Page] Next: Re: Sorta Off Topic, Orbital Bombardment and Long