Prev: Re: KV, Humans, and Political Divisions Next: Re: Sorta Off Topic, Orbital Bombardment and Long

Re: Floating Walls

From: JohnDHamill@a...
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2000 15:37:43 EST
Subject: Re: Floating Walls

In a message dated 3/12/00 10:06:32 PM Central Standard Time,
ateske@HICom.net writes:

<< >If we have to float a wall, better hope we have F.M. Atkinson
present to
do
 >his engineer magic.... or else we play outside in downtown Lancaster.
 >
 >"Sir, Sensors show an enemy flotilla based around a BDN and a CVA
closing
 >from the direction of the Pizza place..."

 Hmm.

 So, is this going to be one of those scenarios where you use model kits
for
 the cap ships, and MicroMachines for the fighters?  We could just use
the
 courtyard, though I suppose the hotel might protest a little....

We once used a side parking lot of a mall for a BIG game, several
hundred
ships. It was great, but the one game took all day, and it wasn't fully
done
by the time we had to pack it in. the nice part was it allowed us to do
several fights, in different parts of a system, at the same time. The
bad
part was we had to have a GM for each little battle, so not so many of
us got
to play. It was an interesting day...

P.S. Some of the interesting things that came out of that day were...

1) The really big fleets weren't confronted, several times enemy fleets
got
close enough to scout them, but got scared and didn't engage. The funny
thing
was, some of these were made so big by using Weasel boats and dummies.
Deception allowed the winners to get the job done, for a lot cheaper
price
than they would have paid by main force engagements.

2) The best ships were; small fast ships, in large squadrons, and the
big
capitals. The small fast boats were able to strike at the place of their

choosing, and move quickly to the next engagement, and the heavies took
damage all day. We had destroyer to battlecruiser deaths all out of
proportion to their numbers.

3) Concentration on the objectives, rather than battle prowess, won the
day.
The side that won made sure they could capture their objectives before
they
worried about killing the enemy.

4) Big areas to play mean long-range is the king. Fighters didn't do all
that
well in this battle, as they didn't get to engage very often. On the
other
hand, the heavies got to shoot at long range, albeit with diminished
effect.

5) Never be the pursued in a stern chase, with an opponent who is
faster...<GRIN>

John
JohnDHamill@aol.com

Prev: Re: KV, Humans, and Political Divisions Next: Re: Sorta Off Topic, Orbital Bombardment and Long