Prev: Re: PBeM new tactics Next: Re: On-going KV debate

Re: KV, Humans, and Political Divisions

From: "J Sadler" <jsadler@e...>
Date: Sun, 12 Mar 2000 09:55:41 +1000
Subject: Re: KV, Humans, and Political Divisions

>The Su'Vasku are - well - the Su'Vasku. Forget about trying to
>understand them. Fortunately they follow a principle of enlightened
>self-interest, and are relatively trustworthy, so can be worked with.
>Sometimes.

I've always believed the Sa'Vasku should be completely incomprehensible
humanity ie we don't know why they do the things they do. One day,
they'll
pop up and blow a colony out of existence; the next, they'll help a
human
ship crippled by pirates to reach safety. Why? Who knows? We can't
communicate with them, they either can't or wont communicate with us,
and
they are truly, truly alien.

Remember: the moment we start giving traits we recognise to aliens, they
stop being truly alien. The Kra'Vak, for example, are really men in
rubber
suits - sure they react differently, but they have traits that humans
understand. This is not necessarily a bad thing - I think the Kra'Vak
are
developed very well and are good aliens. However I think beyond game
mechanics, very little should be written about the Sa'Vasku except what
we
think we know: they're very, very old, they appear to live in space
(we've
never seen a foot soldier, unless the Not-Bugs are considered to be
them)
and they are a race like none other that humanity has met.

This, I feel, keeps them truly alien.

Jeremy
---
Jeremy Sadler jsadler@earthling.net
Unofficial Stargrunt II Web Site http://stargrunt.virtualave.net
"My Father forsake me, the town forsake me... I'm completely forsook." -
Jesus, South Park

Prev: Re: PBeM new tactics Next: Re: On-going KV debate