Prev: RE: Player location! Next: Re: Mini Siziing

Re: KV history/psychology - St. Jon has been reading minds again.....

From: "Laserlight" <laserlight@q...>
Date: Wed, 8 Mar 2000 19:25:57 -0500
Subject: Re: KV history/psychology - St. Jon has been reading minds again.....

>We concluded that this was (similar to Jon) a defence mechanism
for the
>species - both for the individual and (on a larger scale) for
the clan and
>race. Individuals were expendable to protect key clan/race
assets.

1 a)  Do they each berserk individually, or
    b) does the first to berserk give off pheromones which help
trip the response in other nearby individuals?
2 a)  If the latter, does the pheromone guarantee the response
(no die roll needed), or
    b) does it just raise the probability (die roll modifier) ?

I would think b) for both of the above.  If it's a survival
trait, you'd survive a lot better by having a gang of berserkers
attack all at once, rather than one at a time.	Individuals
would vary in degree of susceptibility to the response, plus
you'd have environmental factors like wind, rain, and distance.

And the Walkers of the Path would, perhaps, not just rely on
words, but a counter-pheromone as well.

Logical thus far?  Okay, now what happens when we put them in
combat armor/vacc suits?
  Those who go berserk won't get the support of their
squadmates.  The berserks will tend to suffer a higher casualty
rate than they otherwise would.  On the other hand, the
remainder will be more likely to be able to respond rationally.
  Their own pheromones cannot disperse in the environment and
will tend to keep them enraged.
  KV vehicles with multiple crew, or spacecraft with confined
cockpit areas, may be less efficient than they would normally be
because each crew member would have to stay buttoned up (as
opposed to humans, who can just keep their helmets nearby); else
they risk the whole crew getting enraged in the confined space.
Single-crew vehicles and aerospace craft would therefore be more
prevalent.  Once a crew does go berserk, it would be very
difficult to calm them again.

Prev: RE: Player location! Next: Re: Mini Siziing