Prev: RE: FB2? (was: European trip) Next: Re: [FT]Miniature sizes

Re: [FT] Miniture sizes

From: Brian Quirt <baqrt@m...>
Date: Tue, 07 Mar 2000 08:51:46 -0400
Subject: Re: [FT] Miniture sizes

Nyrath the nearly wise wrote:

>	  I just got a set of those myself.
>	  Makes you wonder if the fellow is calculating the
>	  volume by the mass.
>	  I was wondering if you could calculate the volume
>	  by displacement (i.e., put some water in a graduated
>	  cylinder, drop in the mini, and see how much the
>	  water rises.)
>	  Probably too hard to measure, though.
>
>	  Amusing concept.  Ship systems took up preset amounts
>	  of "cubic milimiters".  The volume of your ship mini
>	  told you how many cubic milimeters you had to play with.

I think that milliliters would be a much better unit of measurement (1
mL is one cm^3, or 1000mm^3). Cubic millimeters would be nearly
IMPOSSIBLE to measure (the lab-quality equipment at my university will
only give you 2 sig. figs. on milliliters, which translates as "to the
nearest hundred cubic millimeters." I'd think you'd want more accuracy
than that....

-Brian Quirt

Prev: RE: FB2? (was: European trip) Next: Re: [FT]Miniature sizes