Prev: Re: Modeling Honor Harrington Ships. Next: Re: Jon, we need an Official Ruling! (was Re: SG2 newbie Q)

Re: Re AI, was NBC

From: "Brian Bilderback" <bbilderback@h...>
Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2000 19:55:42 PST
Subject: Re: Re AI, was NBC

Depends on what you mean by "Knows more."  My main concern is not AI,
it's
AC (No, not Air Conditioning), if you will - Artificial Conscience.

Our grandparents' generation held trials for men who were "Just
Folloving
Orders," our parents had to deal with a place called Mi Lai. This is why
agree with the idea of keeping a human "In the loop," and also in the
tank.
Because regardless of the level of weapon technology employed, the act
of
war will always require a moral judgement - from the world leaders who
declare it to the grunts who actually fire the shots in anger.

Ok, I'll stop right there, because I was getting too verbose. I guess
I'll
put it this way:

I'll feel comfortable with AI tanks the day one of them is capabel of
being
a Consciencious Objector.

Brian B

----Original Message Follows----
From: "Laserlight" <laserlight@quixnet.net>

1. Only overrule the computer if you know more than it does;
2. The computer always knows more than you do.

But if someone does need to be able to override the tank, why
cause problems by putting the human inside the tank?  Leave him
out and you can also leave out life support, ergonomic space,
and displays, lower the profile, use a harder suspension for
better accuracy, etc etc.  Park the human in a nice cozy bunker
somewhere.

Prev: Re: Modeling Honor Harrington Ships. Next: Re: Jon, we need an Official Ruling! (was Re: SG2 newbie Q)