Prev: Re: Stargrunt II FAQ Next: Irregular miniatures (Pics anyone?)

[OT] Copyright symbols in HTML (was Re: Stargrunt II FAQ)

From: "Steve Pugh" <steve@p...>
Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2000 16:10:35 -0000
Subject: [OT] Copyright symbols in HTML (was Re: Stargrunt II FAQ)

> even simpler, why not use the (c) combination that is universally
> recognised on the internet as being the copyright symbol?

Perhaps, because (c) is not _legally_ equivalent to the copyright
symbol. Of course you don't actually need any copyright symbol at
all. (I'm not a lawyer so don't take my word for it, but see
http://www.templetons.com/brad/copymyths.html)

> i'm not sure whether all browsers will handle &copy; although i
> expect these days most will

I've just done a quick test and both Netscape 1 and Mosaic handled it
just fine. Now, the trademark symbol isn't as well supported and I
would recommend using <SUP>TM</SUP> instead of &trade; if anyone ever
has need of it in a web page.

	Steve

--
"Reality must take precedence over public relations.
 Nature cannot be fooled."		     - Richard Feynman

Steve Pugh	<steve@pugh.net>      <http://steve.pugh.net/>

Prev: Re: Stargrunt II FAQ Next: Irregular miniatures (Pics anyone?)