Prev: Re: Stargrunt II FAQ Next: Re: Life After Lancaster - They Fought Like Spartans

Re: NBC

From: Roger Books <books@m...>
Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2000 09:34:30 -0500 (EST)
Subject: Re: NBC

On 27-Feb-00 at 13:21, sportyspam@harm.dhs.org (sportyspam@harm.dhs.org)
wrote:

>   We already trust cruise missles with nuclear warheads.  You're
worried
> about a tank?  Although admittedly if somethng 150 years from now that
> is as large as a modern day tank couldn't also easily level a city,
I'd be
> a bit surprised.

cruise missiles are not intelligent, you don't have to worry about them
deciding they don't like their creators.

>   As for AI, even conservative estimates [and if the past has shown us
> anything even the most optomistic estimates about computers have
fallen
> far short of the actual advances]

Except in the area of AI.  There were many predictions in the 80's
that the AI problem would be over with by Y2000.  We don't seem much
closer than we were then.

We may at some point have psuedo-intelligent tanks for doing things like
"hold this pass" or "do this suicide mission", but when it comes to
to working with footsoldiers I can't see a pseudo-intelligent tank
being in charge, there will be at least 1 human to override the beast
should it make a mistake.

Roger

Prev: Re: Stargrunt II FAQ Next: Re: Life After Lancaster - They Fought Like Spartans